star coax network with rj adapters ?

I was able to run at 100baseT but you are right ... it's not a star configuration. 3 cables are used for 6 connections, so I'll have to reduce the amount of connection points.

Reply to
eric.bouchardlefebvre
Loading thread data ...

let us know when it all starts working for ya -

Reply to
ps56k

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in part:

I have no idea where you are, but in N.America, the most common telco wiring configuration on non-network wired (older) homes is "daisy-chained". Wire is run from the demarc (box on the house) to the first phone, then to the second, third and out to the end. Quad wiring is usual, with three pair common on more recent construction. Sometimes dual daisy-chains if extentions have been added by external wiring.

This wiring is a challenge to reuse for networking. There are some proprietary solutions like 2wire. Otherwise, you can always cut the daisychain into a segment of three stations.

10 is likely, and 100 not impossible, depending on wiring.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: (snip, I wrote)

With the price of little ethernet switches now, you can just split it at each box, put in a dual jack, and connect a switch.

It does rely on people not unplugging the switches, but for home use it should be fine.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Sorry, but you are basically wrong here.

The phone wiring you have is most likely cat-3, probably with multiple connections for the phone sockets in your house.

Ethernet is specified for cat-5 (Fast Ethernet Cat-5e) and is very sensitive to joins. The differences between these standards is impedance, induction, capacitance and frequency response.

Typically cat-3 wiring is suited for a low bandwidth fequency response, suitable for voice frequencies, but will not perform on the 100Mhz bandwidth required for ethernet (yes, I know 100Mhz is not the actual exact B/w, however it's close enough)

You might be able to get around this by looking at Long haul ethernet standards (Ethernet over fencing wire) which are designed to suit lower quality wiring standards.

Another way around this is using a cheep DSLAM and ADSL modem.

WiFi might be easier.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Cook

Actually, ethernet is specified for Cat3, Fast ethernet for Cat5...

Yes, low like 10Mhz...

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Bruce Cook wrote in part:

When you make such absolute statements, you'd better be right lest you look arrogant and not merely mistaken.

Maybe, but I've also seen a lot of 3 pair Cat2 used for home phones. Or quad in older homes.

No. Ethernet is many different things. Cat3 was designed to carry 10baseT plus voice. Cat5 was designed to carry

100baseTX. Cat5e was designed to carry 1000baseT (GigE). All over 100m (330ft) distance.

Cat3 is actually pretty good wiring and I've seen it many times carry 100baseTX with low error rates over moderate (100ft) distances. I doubt it will carry GigE very well, but I might be wrong here.

A bigger issue is to avoid daisy chains and split pairs. The poster appears to have star wiring which _is_ vital.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Must be nice living in a place where most wiring is less than 20 years old. However, there are a large number of residences where the phone wiring is at best, loosely twisted pairs - also known as bell wire, carelessly routed and retained by staples or bent nails if you're lucky.

Residential telephone lines within the house are not specified. If the wiring was not installed by the telephone company, the wiring is what ever the cheapest low voltage wire is available - including 3 turns/foot crap insulated by used chewing-gum. Some telephone companies used to be installing parallel wiring (not twisted or paired). Industry groups and the (US) FCC may _recommend_ installing something better than twisted wet string, but economics seems to be more important to most.

Well... DIX specified a 50 ohm coax somewhat similar to RG-8/U ;-)

I believe the ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B Standard says Cat-3 is characterized up to 16 MHz for that "other" kind of networks.

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

Yes it is specified. And before CAT5 wiring 10Mbit/s networks were built and successfully run on CAT4 wiring...

And that 10Mbit/s Ethernet will run nicely also through CAT3 wiring. Some people run 10Mbit/s ethernet through old CAT3 wiring. And there are even commerically made adapters that allow running

10Mbit/s Ethernet and telephone signals through two pairs of CAT3 or better wiring. I have done some lab testing on that and know that this can be done and works at least in lab.
Reply to
Tomi Holger Engdahl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.