SMII help with Cisco 3750G and 2970G

Anyone ever hear of the SGMII Gigabit Ethernet interfaces on these? They are every other pair.

So,

SGMII == 3,4,7,8,11,12,15,16,19,20,23,24

RGMII == The rest of the ports

What is happening is, a LOT of desktop/server NIC's have issues connecting or staying connected to Cisco's SGMII interfaces. Cisco's solution? Blame the damn NIC and tell me to only use the RGMII ports. Pretty exensive 12 port switch I must say! This is happing on Intel PRO1000 CT and MT, Via Rhine II 100Mbit, and Realtek 100Mbit NICs so far! Cisco briefly mentions this ONLY for one NIC and blames it on Intel in CSCea77032 . Why the hell are they selling a switch where half its ports are using a BARELY IMPLEMENTED new standard, without putting a big red freaking stamp on these ports? Instead, there is only an obscure mention in the release notes relating to one particular NIC. TAC tells me it's only Intel, when I have demonstrated other NIC's doing the same thing. The second I plug any of these into one of the RGMII ports, all is well. Cisco's "fix" of forcing speed/duplex has no effect! I am so freaking mad right now, I spent all day on this. Anyone else hear of this? What is the solution?

Reply to
ccs
Loading thread data ...

BTW, where can one get a copy of the SGMII standard?

TIA, Allan.

Reply to
Allan Herriman

I wasn't aware that SGMII was used for anything except between PHY and MAC chips (or PHY to PHY connections) on a PCB. Assuming that is true, I'm having a hard time understanding why a NIC on the other side of a phy would cause a SGMII interface to not work, unless the SGMII interface was not robust (which it sounds like it is not, since multiple NICs don't work) - pretty much the only thing the NIC should have to do is output 7 octets of preamble and a SFD. I suppose it's possible the some NICs don't, but I'd be surprised. You don't need me to tell you that it seems more likely this is a problem on the Cisco side. You should press them for exactly what is wrong with the other NICs, or else get a refund.

I believe that it used to be available on the Cisco web site, but I spent a fair amount of time searching and can not find it there anymore. I'll email a copy to you, Allan.

Marc

-- Reply to newsgroup - the From address is fake.

Reply to
Marc Randolph

I would appreciate a copy of the spec as well. If possible please send

to novak snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
novak

Is it possible for you to send me a copy of that spec as well?

Thanks,

Harry

Reply to
hstello

Marc, I´m working on a fpga design which requires gigabit connection, so I´m thinking about using that interface, but I haven´t been able to find the specifications. Could you, please, email me a copy? This is my email: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Thanks!

##-----------------------------------------------##

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.lans.ethernet - 2901 messages and counting!

##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
gnathita

Take a look at

formatting link
It seems that Intel has a fix.

Reply to
Noah Davids

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.