Secure Tunnelling software from a usb drive?

Actually, Microsoft has been tightening the defaults over time. XP doesn't force one to create a user account but it "encourages" it. They seem to be trying to herd the developers rather than bludgeon them, but it's easier to herd cats.

Reply to
J. Clarke
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
>

But "HR data" is not email generated by the employee, it is personnel files containing information _about_ the employee generated by the Human Resources department.

Reply to
J. Clarke

(snip regarding the ability, or lack thereof, to run programs under windows without installing them.)

While some versions of windows may provide that restriction, I don't believe that DOS did, and likely not MacTCP either. I am not sure now about Win3.1 or Win95.

(The DOS networking programs I used to know provided their own TCP stack, writing directly to the hardware.)

If you allow machines on the net that can run DOS you have almost no protection against unprivileged users on low numbered ports.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Uhm, err ... don't you try to forget Nightmares? :)

It can, if it wants to live in the Nightmare :) But nothing _forces_ a pgm to write to the Registry.

AFAIK, the Registry is a handy place (can you say /etc?) to put pointers to data files in such intuitively obvious places as: HKEY\\LocalMachine\\Software\\CompanyName\\AppName\\DataLoc

More seriously, this is a thorny problem that unix hasn't solved either (or MS would've cloned it, badly). Perhaps because it has no univeral solution. The unix way usually is to search a datapath.

This should _not_ be necessary. The loader should be able to find libs! If not, failure is a good option.

Ouch! That's work. How do you filter Java from HTTPS?

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

formatting link

Actually the para under "EU subs handling HR data" s very general and includes more than just email. Unfortunately, it does not include references.

A more general problem is the the European Data Protection Directive is just that, a directive that is not law until it is implemented in the various countries. Each will do it slightly differently. And most are civil code, not common law, so precedents don't have the same force. Also, employment is not "at will" but a protected contract.

Unfortunately, nothing is clear in this evolving area.

An employer is probably safe if they monitor for legal compliance (vicarious liability) or as a result of statutory obligation (SOx).

But they'd better enforce uniformly, even in the US. A clever US lawyer can allege wrongful dismissal (age or religious discrimination): [deposition] "You fired Mr Jones for downloading

123 MB of pr0n" "Yes" "How did you know?" "We checked logs" [discovers logs] "These show Ms Smith dowloaded 4 GB. What happened to her?"

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Quite true. A simplification on my part. In some states, theft-by-fraud is fraud/embezzlement, not theft.

In our "drive to Virginia" example, it might be difficult to show that "intent to permanently deprive", especially if he came back.

Congrats!

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Rich Seifert wrote: [snip]

Damn...and I used to respect you too! ;)

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.