Running Cat5 cable outside

I have cable as my internet provider. The strongest source for the modem to plug into is in my basement. The problem is that all of our computers are on the second floor of my house. Right now, I am using a Wall-Mounted Powerline Bridge to get my internet connection from the basement to the second floor, however, this bridge is drastically reducing my connection speed.

We have tried many ways to run a Cat5 cable through the walls/attic to get it down to the basement, but there is no way to go straight down. I was thinking that it could be possible to run a Cat5 cable outside of my house, using the hole that the phone line enters the house and funning it along the siding and then entering through the attic's vent under the roof.

I know that Cat5 cables are not meant for outdoor use, but direct burial CAT5 cables are used for underground wiring. Would I be able to use this cable to run along the side of my house?

Reply to
Nick Chirchirillo
Loading thread data ...

You would be MUCH better off putting a splitter where the cable is grounded and running that cable up to and into the 2nd floor.

Reply to
DLR

I can't do that because I get my phone through cable as well, and the modem has to be near the main telephone split so that it goes to all the phone jacks in the house.

Reply to
Nick Chirchirillo

"Nick Chirchirillo" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

As long as all the phone lines are interconnected at the main telephone split, plugging in the phone line from the modem to any phone connection should power all phones in the house. It works here, and running the coax outside is a better option than running Cat5 outside unprotected. Perhaps the cable company will provide you with a tap outside and run the cable for you. That's better than a simple splitter.

All TW did when I went to digital phone was call Verizon to move over my phone number and then disconnect the Verizon line from the phone block outside. They then changed the cablemodem and plugged the line from it into the nearest phone plug in the wall, provisioned the modem and all was good to go.

Reply to
John Gray

You'll get a few years out of plain old indoor cable run outside. I've had a "temporary" cable run from my office to my bedroom for about 7 years now and it still wirks even in Ohio's winers.

The feed from a cable modem is usually 10 Base T, so it's not rocket science about the twists. Cat-3 will handle the signal, so Cat-5e is pretty generous.

Of course, you could always consider repointing the cable splitters to directly feed the upstairs outlet first and split the rest of the house off.

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro

This is what we did -- we're using Vonage and ditched Verizon.. I went out and disconnected the Verizon lines at the box on the side of the house. Once you do that you can connect your "phone box" that plugs into the ethernet drop into ANY phone plug in the entire house and it will work fine. We've been doing that for the past 3.5 years without problem.. My cable connection is in our attic currently so I've got a few network items sitting up there and the rest strewn throughout the house.

Reply to
Rick F.

No, direct burial cat-5 is not UV rated, so it will degrade in 2-3 years of sunlight. There is UV rated cat5 (the jacket is black). We have a spool of it that we use mainly for mounting IP cameras and radios. I think it came from Beldon.

There should be no lightning related reasons for not using UV rated cat-5 in this application.

Reply to
Daniel J McDonald

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.