RS232 over Ethernet

I have some remote devices with RS232 ports that normally have modems on them to allow remote control over a regular dial up phone line. It uses proprietary software that expects to either see a specific type of 3Com modem, or be directly connected via an RS232 cable. Each of these remote locations is connected by fiber optics that goes back to our central location. There is an ethernet link provided through the Fiber.

What I need is an inexpensive way to run that RS232 over ethernet. Any suggestions on how to do that? I've seen a device called an iPocket232 that does RS232Ethernet but I can't find much information on how it works. The software needs to think it is talking to a regular Com port so it must be transparent.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
J Kelly
Loading thread data ...

Thanks for the link, I found a different Digi product there that looks perfect.

Reply to
J Kelly

In article , J Kelly wrote: :What I need is an inexpensive way to run that RS232 over ethernet.

Sounds like you want something like Digi International's EtherLite

formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

(snip)

Traditionally this was done with a terminal server that would automatically start a telnet connection to the host.

It can also be done with a terminal server that will run as a telnet server and initiate the connection from the other end.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Any pair of "terminal servers" would do, as they usually "speak" telnet any end might be implemented in software.

Blackbox have devices that also does ssh

Reply to
phn

snipped-for-privacy@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote: (snip)

Last time I looked into this, not all terminal servers would do telnet server, so that should be confirmed before purchase if it is needed. Also, it might be that not all will automatically initiate the connection.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

I stand corrected. The ones i bought did ( the others was to nonsensial standards conformat that i never considered them)

Reply to
phn

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.