Restricting upstream in a switched LAN

Is there any way to restrict upstream bandwidth in a switched LAN Configuration is:

Backbone (ISP) -> router -> switch1 -> switch2 -> switch3 | -> switch4

Backbone is 100/100 FD. What i want is to restrict ports on switch2 and switch3 to 10down / 2up mbit switch4 must still access the backbone at 100 / 100 so restriction cannot be in the router... (or can it ???) switch4 serves me, and a couple servers... but switch 2 and 3 are workstations and users there use upstream too much. (sending large files) Is it possible to restrict individual ports ???? thanks

Reply to
Diman
Loading thread data ...

It depends on what kinds of traffic management functions that the switch you have supports. A switches could support several features that may be used to accomplish this:

- Policing/rate limiting - will typically limit bandwidth use on ingress.

- Shaping - will typically limit bandwidth use on egress.

- Per port maximum bandwidth limit.

Anoop

Reply to
anoop

I don't think that my switches are capable of this. they are intelligent, but not that intelligent :-) You wrote - per port maximum bandwidth limit.. but does this feature limit only upstream or both ways ?

Reply to
Diman

It really depends on the manufacturer of the switch since these features are not part of any standard. In products that I have worked with, this feature limits egress bandwidth on the port -- the max that the port will be allowed to transmit. For ingress rate limiting, the feature is usually referred to as rate limiting or policing.

Anoop

Reply to
anoop

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.