Questions regarding the AUI concepts

Hello! In the book by Charles Spurgeon on Ethernet, described here.

formatting link
He mentions on page 104 the basics behind the AUI connector. And then on page 105 there is a blurb there describing the Control Out signals.

While I am not doubting the author concerning these signals, I am in fact searching for more information to confirm it.

Incidentally he mentions that they were never used.

Incidentally Rich the Amazon page contains your books as a part of the collection.

Reply to
gregg dot drwho8 atsign gmail
Loading thread data ...

w.tinyurl.com/5ayt7u

We used them. Had a pre-10BASE-T network in the office, and a bunch of IBM PS/2 computers with 3com Ethernet adapters for the MCA bus. As I recall, all these cards had was the AUI port.

So, yes, we used them for some years. Then we switched over to standard 10BASE-T, when that became available. This was late 1980s and early 1990s.

Bert

Reply to
Albert Manfredi

I think the OP means the Control Out signals were never used. AUI ports were used for sure[1].

M4

[1] Recently I diked out a real (yellow) thick ethernet somewhere. No, it was not in use anymore.
Reply to
Martijn Lievaart

I took a look at this section of Chuck's book, and he is correct in what he says about AUI, and that the Control Out signaling was never used in standard commercial products. Conceivably, some vendor used it for some proprietary function, but I doubt that you would ever run into it, even when AUI was in popular vogue.

-- Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting 21885 Bear Creek Way (408) 395-5700 Los Gatos, CA 95033 (408) 228-0803 FAX

Send replies to: usenet at richseifert dot com

Reply to
Rich Seifert

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.