Problem with PAUSE frames ethernet flow control

I am working with PAUSE frames and I have some problems :

I'm working in a Project with Pause Frames and I have a problem .My really problem is that I send PAUSE frames with a FPGA to the PC and I´m sure the PC receive PAUSE frames I have sent because Ethereal and Wireshark see PAUSE frames, but in Ethereal and Wireshark captures I can also see that PC continues sending frames to router even though I have sent a PAUSE frame with PAUSE quante=0xFFFF, in conclusion the PC don´t stop sending frames although It receives PAUSE frames (and flow control are activated in my 3com card and also Full Duplex mode).

Pause frame are receipt by PC but PC don´t stop sending frames. Anybody know what could be wrong??

I would be very grateful if somebody can help me

Thanks a lot

Oskar

##-----------------------------------------------## Telecom Discussions at

formatting link
access to your favorite newsgroup - comp.dcom.lans.ethernet - 5592 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
oskarathletic
Loading thread data ...

Not all devices respond to pause frames, unfotunately. Some devices can be programmed separately whether to generate or not and whether to respond to or not.

It is also possible that the packet sniffers see activity at a higher level than medium access and so are not shown pause delays.

Check your PC's Ethernet driver parameters. You may be able to configure whether it responds to pause frames or not.

-- James

Reply to
James Harris

Thanks for your help, but I have seen the information flow in an oscilloscope and I have seen PC continues sending information frames (tcp,http,...) after the reception of the PAUSE frame with 0xFFFF time value, but PC should have stopped sending frames 330 msg.

What I can do to see the drivers, because It are .sys files and I don´t know How I can open .sys files?

Thanks a lot and if you know another posible cause of this behaviour of my PC with PAUSE frames, please tell me because I'm very very blocked.

Thanks a lot

Reply to
oskarathletic

On 29 Sep, 15:11, ocgpfc_at_hotmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (oskarathletic) wrote: ...

It's the driver parameters you need (rather than the driver files). For example, under Windows XP Start --> Settings --> Network Connections --> Local area connection --> Properties --> Configure the Ethernet card --> Advanced tab. Then check the value of the Flow Control property. On the machine I am using to type this reply I get four options: Off, Generate, Respond, Generate and Respond. You would need to use one of the two which includes Respond.

If the Flow Control property does not appear your card driver may not support flow control - i.e. Pause frames.

If you are using a different OS it will have its own way to find the driver parameters.

-- HTH, James

Reply to
James Harris

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.