Port trunking & stacking

Hi,

I have 2 front switches which are both Dell 6024 and support port trunking and stacking. I stacked them, so they can be viewed now as a single switch.

------------- stack ------------- ! DELL 6024 !-----------------! DELL 6024 !

------------- ------------- | | | | | | | 1 Gb/s | | | 1 Gb/s (trunking: link=2Gb/s between

5324 | | and the 2 stacked switches 6024) | | | | ---------------- ! DELL 5324 ! ----------------

I want to realize a broadband port trunking between my dell 5324 and the 2 dell 6024. Question are : if one of the link is broken, does the system still work with one aggregate link ? Do I need the spanning tree ? (I think no, because the redundancy is not a ring, but two ports which are aggregated, but I'd like a sure answer).

Thanks in advance for replies.

Best regards,

Julien

Reply to
julde
Loading thread data ...

The two stacked swicthes may not even allow the configuration you propose - many switch stacks require all 802.3ad trunk groups to have all the links on the same swicth. I think this is beacuse even though the stack gets managed as a single device, as far as moiving packets through the swicth is concerned, the stacking port is just like any other port, and the two switsches in the stack are just two connected sitches. Many go even further that than and require them to be in the same group of 8 or 16 ports on the same switch. I thhink that is because they use 8 or 16 port switch ASICS and just stack them internally.

I am unfamiliar with the Dells, so check your manuals. Hopefully none of the above applies to your situation.

Otherwise, to answer your qusetions: no, you should not need spanning tree, and yes, assuming the trunking is 802.3ad, it will continue to work if one link goes down and there is only one link left in the aggregate.

If it's nopt 802.3ad but some proprieary trunking, then I dunno.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.