Plugging nodes into a switch while nodes are powered on

While reading through a networking book (that shall for the time being remain nameless) I came accross a dictum that I was previously unaware of. In short, it stated that a node should be powered off when it is connected to a switch. Otherwise, if it is powered on when the connection is made to a switch, so called "data irregularities" can occur that would force a reset of the switch. Is this true? Precisely what is the risk? Hmmmm...

Nonapeptide

Reply to
Nonapeptide
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in part:

Well, this is basically saying ethernet is not hot-pluggable. In one sense this is certainly false -- ethernet has isolation transformers and should not be physically damaged by hotplugging.

In another sense, who knows? Routers & switches hang up with some frequency. Some as often as daily, I don't know of any commercial less than annually (although I'd expect some medical/ industrial types might be better). Even if they are not hotplugged. Transients happen and can confuse or latchup electronics. Hotplugging can cause these.

Not it is not rigorously disproveable. However, most people experience NO DIFFICULTY whatsoever hotplugging.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.