Please suggest a very simple hub

Instead of getting a RJ45 splitter, (which I know now won't work), are there any very simple two-ports hubs? What's the most simple hub device on the market?

Reply to
Tomás Ó hÉilidhe
Loading thread data ...

Also, I'm playing around with networking here at home and I'm looking for a very simple 100 Mbps hub, with about four ports maybe. I've got switches but it's a hub I want so that I can listen to all the traffic.

Reply to
Tomás Ó h=C

there are tons on the market - where are you located ? What are you really trying to do ???

I've never seen anything less than 5-ports... Usually 4 normal ports, + 1 port that plugs into an upstream hub/switch that internally takes care of the TX/RD wiring crossover between upstream hubs, or - some have all 5 ports can handle the crossover issue.

Reply to
P.Schuman

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe wrote in part:

100 hubs are rather rare, outnumbered by switches and 10 hubs.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

I do the same thing - I look on eBay for old 5 port 10mbps hubs for the purpose of sniffing a network problem.

I don't think the 100mbps standard has a "hub", I think they are all "switches". I ran into that same problem, with the simple 10/100 device not repeating to all ports. The larger switches have an "monitoring" port that can echo all the traffic, for these purposes.

SO - look for a 5-port 10mbps hub - NOT a 10/100 hub or switch - it won't work.

Reply to
P.Schuman

P.Schuman wrote in part:

No, I have seen $100/5pt 100 hubs when switches were expensive ($200). But that long ago and didn't last long.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Say 'repeater' instead of 'hub' to be sure you get the right thing.

Again, 'repeater' not 'hub'.

I used to have a 3com 3C250-TX/I which is definitely a 100baseTX (only) repeater. It does not run 10baseT and has no switch or bridge function. They are available on eBay reasonably priced, though watch the shipping charges.

Do not buy the 3C250-T4, way overpriced on eBay. There is one now for $220.02, over priced by a factor of about 11000. (I have some T4 transceivers, but no repeaters to go with them.)

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

While switches are clearly more popular today, the Fast Ethernet standard does specify and allow repeater hubs, and many were sold commercially during the early days of Fast Ethernet.

-- Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting 21885 Bear Creek Way (408) 395-5700 Los Gatos, CA 95033 (408) 228-0803 FAX

Send replies to: usenet at richseifert dot com

Reply to
Rich Seifert

Hey. I have one. A 16 port 100 hub. A real honest to goodness hub. Plus a 10/100 bridge. I haven't turned it on in about 6 or more years. I keep them on the shelf "just in case" and to annoy my wife.

David

Reply to
DLR

Again, since you can now buy a chip to do most everything there's no market for a 2 port chip, 3 port chip, etc... So there are 5 port chips and 8 port chips for the low end. If you notice router/switch/wireless combinations have 4 switch ports and stand alone units are 5 ports. Which leads me to believe most of the router chip sets have a WAN port and 2 LAN ports. And if they are used in a non wireless router they just don't use the extra LAN port on the router.

David

Reply to
DLR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.