Passive TX100 hub?

Guys,

I have a setup where it's perfect, except I am short of 1 (one) TX100 port. I don't want to put in another switch/hub and for sure there will be no further expansion to this (specialized) LAN.

I remember the ole COAX ethernet, everybody was on the same wire, there was no need for a powered hub.

Can I just tie my TX100 wires together and create this one extra port?

I don't care about the extra collision, and the reduced bandwidth, and my two CAT5s are less than 3 feet.

Does this work? Will I fry this thang?

Reply to
bobb
Loading thread data ...

bobb wrote in part:

What about ports that go dead?

No. Impedences will be wrong. The fork in the line will change transmission characteristics.

You can put a second card in one of the machines, and have it fwd to the network.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

What's the problem, 5-port 10/00 switches are as low as $12.

No. Someone used to make what looked like a passive 3-port RJ-45 device, but I haven't seen them in a while. Looks like Radio Shack used to sell a 10BaseT passive hub (278-785), but all I can find on Google are people complaining that it doesn't work...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

OMFG!

formatting link
Run and hide! 8*|

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.