Partition network (managed switch?)

Any switch that supports vlans will do this--if you're looking for _cheap_ hardware then try ebay--you won't find a managed switch, new, that costs less than two unmanaged switches.

Personally though I would go for physical isolation regardless of the technology I was using.

Reply to
J. Clarke
Loading thread data ...

Hi, I need to setup two independent network spurs for public and private lan segments. I know i can do this with two physical switches, however to save space im wondering if i can get a switch which i can partition the ports into two seperate logical networks, for example:

ports 1-8: network a ports 9-16: network B

and no data will echo between. I think this is possible with managed switches, so basically im after recommendations for cheap hardware that will allow me to do this.

Many thanks.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Morley

Indeed, i have been reading up just now (sorry should have done that before posting!), i have just seen HP 2524 which is rated very highly... as you say VLAN is what im looking for :)

Cheers

Reply to
Chris Morley

On 17.12.2005 13:46 Chris Morley wrote

Actually what you are looking for is a switch which can do Vlans. Most of the switches which do Vlan are also manageable. Look at D-Link or Linksys (there are many others) for affordable hardware which can do that.

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.