Networks - room for significant s/w improvement?

Since a lot of people who post here sound like they have a lot of experience, I thought I'd ask about an idea I had.

I read this article,

'Aussie Claims Copper Broadband now 200x Faster'

formatting link
and was wondering what people thought about this subject. Is there a lot of inefficiency built into networking? Has it changed significantly in the last 5 years or 10 years?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Scirocco
Loading thread data ...

The cited report seems to be a self-serving PR piece. Quoting from the article:

"It is claimed that the algorithms can produce up to 200x improvement over existing copper broadband performance (quoted as being between one and 25 mbit/sec), with up to 200 mbit/sec apparently being deliverable."

Since the industry has been delivering 1 Gb/s (1000 Mb/s) over twisted-pair copper for many years, with 10 Gb/s solutions now emerging, it seems that Dr. Papandriopoulos may be a bit "behind the power curve."

-- Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting 21885 Bear Creek Way (408) 395-5700 Los Gatos, CA 95033 (408) 228-0803 FAX

Send replies to: usenet at richseifert dot com

Reply to
Rich Seifert

(snip)

Not for long distances, though.

Cable goes up to about 1GHz, subtract out what TV uses and use an efficient code, you probably can get 1Gb/s down it. That would be shared among the neighborhood, though.

DSL at 18000ft, I don't think you are very close to 1GHz.

(Not having actually read the article.)

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

um

he was refering to copper broadband performance I took that to meen a replacement for adsl/dsl which i suspect is going to be a big ask ill belive 200x when i see the paper in the tech journals and when they can demo this in thefield :-)

Reply to
Neuromancer

In say 20 years we have gone from 75/1200 bps modem to 20Mbps broadband - a factor of 20,000. To my level of technical understanding the 75/1200 seemed full at the time. Clearly I was wrong. I certainly lean towards assuming that there is a lot more to come.

Reply to
Bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.