Netgear FVS 318 Wan Port to Ethernet Port on Alvarion ITU Problems...

This is a really strange one...

We are in Northern ireland, and we got broadband from NTR Broadband.

I previously was with BT Broadband.

The Wan port on my FV 318 was connected to the BT router (4 ethernet ports) with a straight through CAT 5 cable, and worked perfectly for years.

In order for it to work with our new broadband (Alvarion ITU with single ethernet port) - we had to connect a cross over cable. This worked fine for one week and then suddenly stopped working. The WAN link and activity lights on the FVS 318 seemed normal like it was working but the ethernet link light on the ITU went out completely and I could not ping the ITU from the FVS 318.

I then reconnected the FVS 318 WAN port to the BT router with a straight through cable and it worked perfectly again...

I then connected my PC directly to the Alvarion ITU - and this worked perfectly also.

I then connnected the FVS 318 WAN port into a 4 port hub with a straight cable, with another straight cable from the hub to the Alvarion ITU and this worked perfectly!

I then tried the original configuration with the original x over cable AND a different x over cable - and it still would not work.

Does anyone have any theories as to how this is possible? (Is my signal strength from my FVS 318 perhaps a little bit low - and the hub is boosting it enough for the ITU to pick it up or something?).

I have ordered another FVS 318 as a spare, but I am loathe to connect it to the ITU with a cross over cable in case this is what damaged my FVS 318 in the first place.... But at the same time am loathe to have an unneccessary 'link' (hub) in my chain that may break..

NTR broadband (perhaps understandably) say it is not their problem....

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Reply to
jordan
Loading thread data ...

Sorry - I should have said 'DTU' rather than 'ITU'

Reply to
jordan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.