Netgear and Cisco Trunk

Hi, I have a Cisco 3750 with layer 3 switching for the VLANs working fine. I have added a Netgear smartswitch GS748T. I have created the VLANS on the Netgear switch; now I want to set up a trunk (DOT1Q) between the switches. I have the Cisco trunk set up, but I never did a Netgear trunk and am confused by the Web interface for trunking; firstly, should the ports in each VLAN be tagged or untagged. Secondly when setting up a trunk the netgear config screen has an "ID" column and "port numbers" - do I select and ID for each VLAN and tick the port that are in that VLAN? Is there a command line interface for the netgear or does it have to be accessed through the browser? TIA, Ned

Reply to
Ned
Loading thread data ...

This sounds very similar to the way Extreme does it..

Basicly, on a dot1q trunk, all the vlans are tagged, with the exception of the native vlan, which can also be tagged if the cisco end is set the same way. By default the native vlan is not tagged. The native vlan must match on both ends of the trunk.

To setup a trunk port, you pick a port, and assign the native vlan as untagged, and any other desired vlans as tagged. Any vlans not assigned to that port do not appear on that trunk.

You would assign vlans to access ports as untagged.

Reply to
Bob Vaughan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.