Multiple LANs - One Internet Connection

Any suggestions on how to connect multiple LANs to one cable modem Internet connection? Each LAN has 4 PCs (max) must remain isolated from the other LANs. One LAN requires the ability to limit what PC's can connect to the Internet.

Reply to
gregorre8
Loading thread data ...

Copy and paste into notepad.

--------- | Cable | | Modem | --------- | | | | | 192.168.100.0 /24 __________| |______ |__________________ | | | | | | |

Reply to
Wayne

There are two 192.168.100/24 nets, which is probably not a good idea.

Best is to randomly assign the third octet of a 192.168 address, or the second and third of a 10.x.y/24 address. If you join a VPN it reduces the change of having to change all the addresses.

Otherwise, yes, this is probably the best, and with routers down to $10, a very affordable solution.

-- glen

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Actually yeah, that's not a good idea. Typo on my part!

Yeah, we could get into something like a PIX 515 with a VLAN-capable switch, but that would be expensive and unnecessary.

Reply to
Wayne

You could roll your own with a spare PC and a few NIC cards, using freebsd or linux.. any old pentium box would work, or you could use one of the soekris boards..

I have a setup similar to this, with 3 lans, and a dsl line.. mapping to

3 static addresses on the dsl side, using freebsd, ipfw, and natd.
Reply to
Bob Vaughan

gregorre8 wrote in part:

You've received good replies about hierarchy. I'd be more worried about performance. One person with a virus, p2p or sending large emails can use all the upstream bandwidth, making the large downstream unusable. A more intelligent [Linux] router can reduce this effect by QoS and throttling.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

For the LAN routers, I planned on using DHCP but turn off NAT. For the LAN router, just the opposite. Good idea?

Reply to
gregorre8 via HWKB.com

I have heard there is a version of linux to run on the WRT54G if you don't like the system that it comes with.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

You heard correctly. Sort of. Apparently you can hack it up through v4. V5 you can't. But what they did was come up with a special version (suffix L?) which can be hacked.

Google WRT54G hack and you'll get lots of links.

Reply to
DLR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.