Multicast VLAN Id

Hello

If i set the default vlan id of a l2 switch to 1

then is it possible that i set the Multicast VLAn ID of the same switch to some another value

foe exp -- 4 or 5 or any vlan except 1.

Thanks

Vikrant

Reply to
vicky
Loading thread data ...

Yes, and if you are using multicast vlans then you would normally set the multicast vlan to something other than the switch default vlan.

Note: multicast vlans are an extended feature that are not required to be implemented even on switches that implement multicast.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Just to be sure where all these VLAN questions are leading, you do appreciate that you don't need either a "default VLAN" or a VLAN assigned to multicasts, or any other VLAN implementation, necessarily? Perhaps some switch vendors create a default VLAN by default. That doesn't mean that this is a requirement of Ethernet or any other L2 protocol I can think of.

None of the 802 or IP protocols require use of VLANs. VLANs are a neat trick that can be helpful in certain circumstances.

Bert

Reply to
Albert Manfredi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.