most common twisted pair cables

Not quite. A very common cable sharing application is to have

2-Pair-Ethernet (10BaseT, 100BaseTX) and analog telephony running over different pairs of the same 4-pair TP cable. You use adapters[1] on both ends so you get the jacks / pinouts typical for the desired services.

CATV over twisted pair would be my best guess. However, you will find it more cost-effective and versatile to just install additional coax cable for your cable TV / sattelite receiver applications instead of trying to get it running over expensive high-grade twister pairs. If you were not a consumer, there are plenty other uses for it - there is a couple of data transmission standards apart from ethernet using high-frequency carrier signals and some of them have requirements going well beyond what's specified in Cat5e.

[1] either real adapters to plug into a RJ45 jack or more sophisticated systems like the AMP CO Plus. To get a feeling for how versatile copper installations may become, you can take a look at the AMP product site:
formatting link
Reply to
Denis Jedig
Loading thread data ...

(snip)

If the PoE source uses line power without a backup battery it won't.

The CATV amplifiers for my neighborhood are, I believe, powered off the same transformer as my house.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Sorry for a late reply. Forgot my post...

If we start to do fibre there would soon be no need for POTS. ISDN is already dead. KVM? Come on, stuff that old crappy PC away and go for something useful. Sun Ray is the answer.

PoE? Well how hard would it be to invent a fibre cable standard with a pair of copper wires in the same covering? Think I just did...

Reply to
Thommy M.

"soon" is not "today". ISDN is pretty widely used across Europe - there is plenty of equipment for it, there are large corporate PBXes using it and KVM extenders are not used to control clients, they are used to control servers in exceptional situations (where other management methods fail or are unsuitable). IP extenders exist but have their trouble. And again, there is plenty of equipment for the existing cabling systems.

It is not about inventing - it is about having the equipment. Try fo find at least three independent manufacturers with a wide variety of IP phones, wireless access points and switches with the described functionality. And of course you will need to have the cable itself, the patch cords, the patch bays, the splicing equipment, the t&m equipment, ...

Reply to
Denis Jedig

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.