makeing cable longer

Hi, UTP cable for outside house has it's end 55m from the Lantec switch. I need

2 more meters. Yet connecting a two meter ussual ethernet cable failed with "cabel disconnected" in WindowsXP even if I could see a green lamp in the switch showing a connection to the NIC. Is it necceasary for 10Base-T to consist of one piece only ? How should i connect two pieces ? Could somebody point, please a webpage with all cabling information, like connectors, electical cabel features, what pins and why, how and why to cross over, etc ? thank you in advance zbyszek lisiecki
Reply to
Zbigniew Lisiecki
Loading thread data ...

Hi, UTP cable for outside house has it's end 55m from the Lantec switch. I need

2 more meters. Yet connecting a two meter ussual ethernet cable failed with "cabel disconnected" in WindowsXP even if I could see a green lamp in the switch showing a connection to the NIC. Is it necceasary for 10Base-T to consist of one piece only ? schould it be pieces of one type ? How should i connect the two pieces ? Could somebody point, please a webpage with all cabling information, like connectors, electical cabel features, what pins and why, how and why to cross over, etc ? thank you in advance zbyszek lisiecki
Reply to
Zbigniew Lisiecki

No, and it should go 150m on cat5 cable, too.

Be sure that the pairs are right, such as using one of the standards, such as 568A or 568B. If the pairs are wrong even one cable at 55m usually won't work but will light the link light.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.