Looking for Ethernet Blade Switch With Isolated Segments

I am looking for a 4U switch that can insert about six ports on blades, similar to this idea:

formatting link

The key requirement though is that each inserted card act as an independent ethernet switch. I don't want to hassle with defining VLANs that isolate ports on each blade.

My application is a firewall, with many segments. Currently we stack a lot of 1U and 2U ethernet switches, and the real estate for all of those switches is expensive in terms of rack space. A 4U box with eight insertable blades would give me eight ethernet segments to play with in an extremely condensed space. Does anyone make this?

Alternately, I could look for rackmountable ethernet switches that are about

1/2 U, if those exist.

nish

Reply to
nish
Loading thread data ...

Looks like a good solution might be 5 to 8 port industrial ethernet switches that mount on a DIN rail. That gives you the entire depth of a server cabinet to mount 4U high switches, side by side.

I also noticed that most of these are DC powered devices, and the DC powered ethernet switches appear to use about 4 watts of energy versus closer to 40 watts for equivalent AC powered products.

nish

Reply to
nish

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.