LAN extenders as alternative to Fiber

Hi friends,

I got a query from a customer asking if he could use LAN extender instead of using Fiber whenever distances crossed 100 m. I did not have any convincing answer to give him. Thats why I am posting here a question to know if LAN extenders can be used instead of Fiber? If yes, will there be any performance degradation? What is the max throughput one can get from LAN extenders? Also are LAN extenders the only alternative to fiber?

Looking forward for someone to shed some light on this.

Thanks a lot Regards Gautam

Reply to
gautamzone
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
has 15 Mbps at over

3,000 feet. Simple solid-state telco line surge protection is adequate.
Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

In comp.dcom.cabling snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in part:

If it's just distance, you can often push distance limits by using better cable. 10baseT will often do 200m on Cat5 cable and 100baseTX might carry 150m on Cat6.

But long distances often mean interbuilding (actually, active equipment on different groundstakes) and that requires serious protection against lightening caused surge damage.

Good extenders should either have this built-in, or specify that telco-type protectors are sufficient.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Reply to
w_tom

In comp.dcom.cabling w_tom wrote in part:

Exactly! It gets even worse: A direct lighting strike to a building is not required. Any nearby (100m) strike may elevate one building's groundstake much more than another's. Then any direct conductive connection becomes a new groundpath.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

You may want to try xDSL Extenders....theylkk work for ya!

formatting link

Joe Perkowski

Reply to
Perkowski

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.