is a NAT device/'home router' - a router?

is a NAT device/'home router' - a router?

I see that they receive a frame, and then forward it on to a local computer. This isn't routing. Infact, I've heard that NAT is really a firewall feature, and these devices do have built in firewalls.

And I can't see that these NAT devices have a routing table either. When they send a frame out, they just send it down the wire, to the ISP's router.

A 'home router' with its 2 arms and apparently no knowledge of teh outside world, doesn't seem like a router to me.

But I've also heard that it uses RIP and us a router, it's hard to see how or where. Or what is right

Reply to
jameshanley39
Loading thread data ...

I think the essence of routing is a)look at the dest ip b)use the dest ip to consult a routing table c)decide where the packet should go

In this case - for incoming packets, the Dest IP is always that of the router itself. The router doesn't look at the Dest IP to see where the frame should go. It looks at the TCP Port in the packet, and forwards the packet accordingly.

less importantly, but furthermore, as I said, i've heard that NAT is a firewall function rather than a router function. and the 'home routers' do have built in firewalls.

If there's a routing table, what is in it? (I will speculate)

As far as I know, Port Forwarding has nothing to do with a routing table. As far as I know, Routing tables don't mention the TCP Port. They mention

Subnet, Next Hop, Router Interface

So are you saying that they have a routing table with a single entry and the next Hop is the ISP's router?

This is all very well for outgoing frames. But incoming frames are not routed. AFAIK NAT and port forwarding, have nothing to do with a routing table.

This is your attitude speaking. You think that whether by port forwarding or not, it is routing. But you don't consider words important. You may be right about the forwarding being routing, or you may be wrong. But you don't mind inventing words as you go along. I clearly value correct terminology more than you do.

There are many like you. Most often people in marketting have tha attitude to terminology.

Perhaps somebody that values terminology can respond to this post regarding correct terminology!!!

Reply to
jameshanley39

It is.

It is routing when it has two interfaces. It could even be routing if there were only one interface. The essence of routing, is to look at the L3 header, and decide where the packet has to go to. Even if the decision appears to always be the same.

What do you think a NAT device/'home router' is doing when, from the internet, a packet arrives with a destination IP which is not known on the LAN side? Leaving aside firewall rules, I'd guess the packet would take the default route straigt out the link it came in on.

What about the (not so uncommon) boxen with an additional WLAN interface? Do they become a router when the WLAN is configured? Or when the first station really connects to the WLAN? Do they then stop being a router when somebody pulls the LAN cable?

Many of them run Linux with a normal Linux IP stack. You bet there's a routing table, somewhere!

Don't be blinded by the devices-for-dummies totally-dumbed-down web interface those boxen present. That's just pretty packaging.

You are entitled to use terminology all the way you like. You are also entitled - guessing here - to play word definition games with your friends.

Even with a single physical arm, a thing can be a router. Think about multiple VLANs on a single ethernet cable.

My take: if it forwards IP frames, it _is_ a router.

BTW, words are irrelevant. The box works without them.

best regards Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Schaaf

When it's configured to do NAT, yes. Otherwise, no. So in general, no.

NAT is a function by itself. It is implemented and/or configured in otherwise pure routers, in otherwise pure firewalls, or in any combination thereof. No understanding is gained by calling it 'a router function' or 'a firewall function'. NAT is NAT.

Part of the software and configuration can be called 'firewall'. Just as other parts can be called 'router'. And other parts can be called 'address translation'.

It will be a default route out the WAN interface, and one or more connected routes towards internal networks. Depending on the feature set of the configuration interface, it could also contain whatever routes the local administrator desired.

No dispute. But, after port forwarding or other forms of NAT have done their packet manipulation, the resulting packet is usually routed as if it were just arrived from the same interface as the original, unmangled packet.

best regards Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Schaaf

No need to speculate. Here's a sample routing table from a Linksys broadband router made circa 2000.

Destination LAN IP Subnet Mask Default Gateway Hop Count Interface

0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 64.x.x.x 1 WAN 64.x.x.x 255.255.240.0 0.0.0.0 1 WAN 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0 1 LAN

One entry for the ISP's next-hop, one entry for each directly attached network. Simple? Yes. Small? Yes. Still a routing table, still routing.

Reply to
Wayne

They perform a routing function, in that the local hosts send off network traffic to the default route, which happens to be one of those boxes. The only difference, is that those boxes also provide address translation. Some of those boxes are capable of operating without using NAT.

Even "real" routers, such as from Cisco, point to a default gateway, at the ISP. They also have two or more ports.

Reply to
James Knott

Actually, it's ethernet frames and IP datagrams.

Reply to
James Knott

Also done by the host, to determine if local network or not.

If there's only one possible destination (ISP gateway), there's nothing to look up.

Reply to
James Knott

I wish that were true, but it is quite wrong.

NAT will be at least as popular when IPv6 is common as it is now. There are still many unallocated IPv4 addresses. The IPv4 addressing problem is much less the paltry 4 billion address space than it is the size of default free routing tables. By many accounts IPv6 will make the routing table size problem worse instead of better, and not IPv6 addresses are 4 times larger but because of multi-homing.

NAT has always been advertised as a global address shortage solution, but actually installed to deal with other issues. Probably the most common real reason for using NAT at first was laziness. Assigning and tracking blocks of addresses is more work than single addresses. NAT really took off as a way to avoid paying consumer-grade ISP prices for blocks of static addresses.

Note also that IPv4 DHCP and PPP IPCP are tuned for automatically assigning single addresses instead of blocks. Maybe in theory IPv6 neighbor discovery wouldn't have the same problems, but I wouldn't count on that in practice.

Then there is the legacy problem. What is an easier way for a DSL or cable-modem ISP to deploy IPv6 than new "modem" firmware that uses NAT to connect consumer IPv4 LANs to the ISP's IPv6 network?

NAT is like VHS tape and the automobile, arguably evil but very difficult to get rid of once they're popular.

(Why follow-up to comp.dcom.lans.ethernet? NAT is more on-topic for comp.protocols.tcp-ip than comp.dcom.lans.ethernet.)

Vernon Schryver snipped-for-privacy@rhyolite.com

Reply to
Vernon Schryver

NAT will no longer be necessary, when IPv6 is commonly used. There will be so many addresses available, that everyone can have billions of addresses. In fact, your MAC address will form part of your IP addresses (yes, you will likely have multiple addresses for each computer). It will also eliminate the need for DHCP, as each device can determine it's own addresses etc.

Reply to
James Knott

yes, btw, where did you get LinkSys command ref from? (note-I managed to find DLink DSL504 here

formatting link
it's interesting. My DLink DSL504 router actually doesn't list local IPs in the routing table. I guess its NAT is implemented in the firewall part.

There is only one entry in my router's routing table - that entry being the default route.

192.168.0.1> ip route route add ppp_route 0.0.0.0 82.70.237.22 00:00:00:00 1 0 1 # MAN via ppp_device 192.168.0.1>

so, doesn't seem like much need to look up the dest ip. Doesn't look like RIP is doing much. If the Dest IP is its own IP, then NAT and PAT kicks in. And if it's anything it just goes to the routing table and takes the default route, which is out the WAN interface to the ISP's router.

But there are commands and ways in the web interface, to add entries. THe web interface mentions 2 interfaces ISP1 and Ethernet (makes sense).

I guess if I could disable NAT such that packets could arrive at my router with an IP of one of my local computers, - then I could start adding entries to the routing table.

though with NAT, and this one WAN interface for the default route entry. The whole RIP (that seems to advertise nothing - what subnets are connected at my end to my router, that it would advertise? None- The one subnet that it has at my end is NATed anyway - not advertised) and Routing Table(with the 1 default entry) seems like overkill!

But I guess it's still techically a rouiter, for its RIP and routing table.

Reply to
jameshanley39

mainly because on comp.dcom.lans.ethernet there were many post on ther that clarified that a (layer 2) switch is a marketting term for a bridge with >2 ports. And a layer 3 switch is amarketting term for a router. So, I thought it was likely that thess home routers were only marketted as routers, so seemed closely related to many threads in that newsgroup. Turns out they are routers, use a routing protocol.

Reply to
jameshanley39

coudl you refer me to any book on this? I have some network book but none breka it down as clearly as that.

I have read something about gateways connecting NWs of dissimilar protocols or architectures. But, architecture are layer 1 and 2 too. So the distinction between router and gateway doesn't seem tobe being able to operate at the transport layer and application layers.

I haven't even heard of other devices at layer 3 that aren't routers. And I haven't heard of a router without a routing protocol. (or routing table).

Is all this addressed in one or several books?

thanks

Reply to
jameshanley39

I thought it went 'NAT is evil' :)

As I recall it:

*) devices that operate at the physical layer (eg electrical/optical) are repeaters (a "hub" being a multi-port repeater :)

*) devices that operate at the data-link layer (eg MAC) are bridges (a "switch" simply a multi-port bridge :)

*) decices that operate at the network layer (eg IP) are routers

*) devices that operate at the transport layer and higher are gateways

Now, when you create eierlegendwolmilchsau (*), layer-blurring devices such as firewalls and NATs you basically toss a grenade into the works and knuth only knows what to call it besides "bletch."

rick jones

(*) I've probably butchered the german spelling of egg-laying, wolly, milk-pig

Reply to
Rick Jones

Hardly. NAT is a pseudo-clever way of hooking networks together. Trade the underutilized ports field for the scarce address field. Remember, the Internet is not one network, but a network of networks.

No, these little home devices are really gateways. There is nothing wrong with what they do.

OTOH, some apps may break if they depend on very specific behaviour. That's OK. IPv4 & TCP/IP is about moving data, not making apps work. That's for the apps programmers. In particular, just because a connection can be opened in one direction has never implied a guarantee that another could be opened in the opposite direction.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

And of course ISPs will no longer charge for static IPs and for each additional address. Sure they won't.

Reply to
J. Clarke

ah,my mistake. I didn't realise your routing table was - like mine - as expected - not listing NAT either. You actually have 2 directly connected networks and they aren't behind NAT. Since they are in the routing table and the Dest IP could equal an IP on one of those networks. I didn't have that in mind when I thoguht of a home router. I have trouble trying to disable NAT on my home router. Your router is certainly more router like than mine!

Reply to
jameshanley39

I don't quite agree. "Switch" was originally a marketing term that meant "fast Ethernet bridge." The number of ports was irrelevant, since by then all bridges were "multi-port." The slight taint of technical substance was that "switches" could look at first 12 bytes of payload before starting to forward the frame, with the disadvantage of forwarding CSMA/CD fragments. Another characteristic was a lack of (an equivalent to) spanning-tree so that if you weren't careful, you could create loops and packet storms. (Recall Kalpana.) It wasn't long before "switch" was broadened to cover anything thing that shuffles data "fast," just as toothpaste "makes your smile brighter," and never mind asking "faster" or "brighter than what?" The suckers were supposed to understand "switch" as meaning "ASIC" or something else that told them nothing they (or the marketoons blathering it) could understand except "Buy Me Now And You'll Look Smart!"

Today everything is a "switch." Everything or close to everything is both a bridge and a router. What modern packet forwarding box can't be taught to forward (and filter) based on link layer addresses, IP addresses, or both at once?

Even the router salescritters have stopped beating their old shibboleth of a distinction between hosts and routers, what with all routers supporting "host protocols" like syslog, telnet, ssh, and http and all hosts supporting all routing protocols. Cisco's IOS has grown so elaborate and has so many security advisories that not even Cisco salescritters can say it's simpler than a "host" operating system. Many other vendors run various, largely unvarnished UNIX-like operating systems such as FreeBSD, NetBSD, and Linux, including plenty of cheap consumer grade cable and DSL modems. You might be surprised by how many of them answer port 22 or 23 with familiar banners; I was.

According to my rule book, an IP router is anything that forwards IP packets with or without a routing protocol. How it decides where to forward is irrelevant. A gateway, IP packet forwarder, or whatever you call it with a static table is as much a router as some other box that that uses an IGP or EGP or random caprice--not that there is always much difference.

Reply to
Vernon Schryver

What makes you think it is a separate part instead of iptables, ipfw, or similar?

formatting link

It seems to be impossible to disable NAT on many consumer grade boxes. You can tell them to do nothing, but they still insist on counting SYNs or other things that mess things up. (E.g. run out of their own table space and crash or refuse to pass TCP segments unless they've seen a

3-way handshake, which breaks TCP connections when they're rebooted.)

All of the boxes I've looked at in recent years let you fiddle with the routing table regardless of their NAT settings, while some don't let you even ossensibly turn off NAT.

The good reason your box might support RIP is to advertise a default route to hosts on your home network. For many years RIP has been mostly a router discovery protocol, as well as by far the most popular router discovery protocol. See

formatting link

Reply to
Vernon Schryver

yes, like Kalpana.

Many people used "gateway" for "router." Look for "gateway" in rfc-index.txt Maybe they didn't want to get bogged down in arguments about the right way to prounounce "router." See for example RFC 875, "Gateways, Architectures, and Heffalumps" perhaps via

formatting link

I think more words are need to make the intended meaning clear, as in ALG or application layer gateway.

I'd start by understanding the functions and worry about the labels later. The labels are merely boring semantics or worse (e.g. intentionally misleading marketing propaganda) if you know what the boxes do. If you don't know the substance behind the labels, you can only go wrong by using them.

Reply to
Vernon Schryver

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.