IGMP fast-leave

Hello,

trying to understand how "fast-leave" works; I do realize it's related to IGMP Leave messages and how they are processed by IGMP aware switches, but no more.

RFC2236 mentions this term only one time, without further explanations. As I understand, "fast-leave" (or as some manufacturers call it "immediate leave") isn't standard?

Would someone be so kind to explain me the machinery of this procedure?

Reply to
Mark
Loading thread data ...

fast leave came in as part of IGMP v2.

RFC 2236 says a host"may" send a fast leave when leaving a group, so it isnt mandatory, but many client IP stacks always send it when exits a group.

a host sends a leave to "all routers" multicast. The router then sends a group specific query(s) to see if any hosts are left, and removes the group if there is no reply.

AFAIR default is 1 sec timeout and 2 queries, so the group should get dropped after 2 sec or so.

Reply to
Stephen

So the gist of fast-leave is not to wait til group membership timers on multicast routers have expired, but quickly send a group-specific query and if not report were received, remove the group?

Is it the same way how Layer2 devices implement fast leave (sometimes called immediate-leave) ?

Reply to
Mark

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.