How to generate data packet (traffic) from a PC?

I want to use my PC as a client along with WAN applications. To test the functioning of the networks, i want to generate data packets from the PC. Can you pl suggest me how is it possible? Just by giving the PING command, whether am i doing the same thing?

Reply to
zatheesh2k7
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in part:

`ping` can be a useful network testing tool especially for latency when the options are used (not fully available on Microsoft PING.EXE). But it only works when routers pass ICMP which can be variable. The advantage is ping can be run from one end alone without access to the other machine so long as it honors ICMP ECHOREQUEST.

A more generally useful tool is `ttcp` which can generate both TCP and UDP packets on whichever ports you can access. There is TTCP.EXE compiled for MS-Windows. One small difficulty with `ttcp` and most network tools is they require access to machines at both ends to run both sender and receiver routines. This can easily be done with ssh.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.