help me decide wich managed switch to buy...

I'm looking to buy a managed switch for my network at home, what I need is at least 16 ports, 19", and 802.1p.

4 systems will be attached to the server, 2 servers and 2 PC's (more will be added later, hence the 16-ports). I have been looking at 4 switches: 1) HP procurve 1800-24G 2) Netgear GS716t 3) 3Com 2816 sfp 4) Linksys SRW 2016

They all do what I want, except the Netgear only has 2 priority levels and the manuals of the Procurve 1800 don't say how many priority levels it supports. All my other network hardware is from Netgear and I have only heard less good things about the Linksys, but would like to hear your opinions.

thnx, Belgarath

Reply to
belgarath
Loading thread data ...

No-one can give me any advice here?

Belgarath

Reply to
belgarath

According to:

formatting link
Q: How many queues are supported by the ProCurve Switch 1800 series? The ProCurve Switch 1800 series supports 4 queues per port.

Q: How are the 802.1p priorities mapped to the queues for the ProCurve Switch 1800 series? The ProCurve Switch 1800 series 802.1p priorities are mapped as shown in the following table. Port Queue and 802.1p Priority Values Priority for Exiting From the Port Low (1 - 2) - Fourth Normal (0, 3) - Third Medium (4 - 5) - Second High (6 - 7) - First

I believe they also come with a lifetime warranty:

formatting link
Anoop

Reply to
anoop

What kind of advice do you expect? There is plenty of the cheap smart-switch half-managed crap on the market for about 150$. They all *do* switch and they all *do* all their ports working. And yes, they even *do* have VLAN tagging and basic management functionality. Since it's a home installation and it's not going to be mission-critical just stick with the standard masculine logic and take the one with the nicest t*ts.

Reply to
Denis Jedig

Reply to
mike

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.