Fiber card in promiscuous mode under linux

Hi,

I have a fiber optic tap and two computers under widows/linux with fiber cards. The tap gives a copy of the network stream in two fibers, each connected to the input diber port of the tho computers.

On windows, the network receive packets and the fiber card is activated, with just une fiber from an active fiber network.

On linux, even in promiscuous mode, ifconfig shows me that the card isn't in running mode and dosen't receive any packets.

Any idea to force the network card in running mode? with irconfig or ethtool?

The fiber card is a "D-Link System Inc DL2000-based Gigabit Ethernet"

with ifconfig: eth2 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:95:E4:61:CB inet adr:10.0.4.2 Bcast:10.0.4.255 Masque:255.255.255.0 UP BROADCAST PROMISC MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 lg file transmission:1000 RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b) Interruption:209 Adresse de base:0x9400

Thanks for help

Keul

Reply to
Keul
Loading thread data ...

Keul wrote in part:

Have you also set routing tables? Something like: # route add -net 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 dev eth2

This tells the kernel when it has traffic for 10.* to stuff it out eth2 rather than any other or default interface (eth1).

`mii-tool` might be necessary to change duplex.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

It was not a problem of routing but a problem of autonegociation.

mii-tool is obselete (and sould be replaced with ethtool)

I've solved the problem with disabeling the autnoegociation ( ethtool -s eth2 speed 1000 duplex fulll autoneg off )

Thanks for the help

Reply to
Keul

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.