Extending a Wired Network

I have a wired network throughout my house. I now need to connect two additional devices (3 total) in one room that is at the far end of the house from the location of my router/switch. Running additional cables is not an option and I do not want to use wireless. So, can I simply get another router/switch in this room and connect its input to one of the ports on the main router/switch or would I use just a second switch (no router) in this room or something else? Thanx.

Peter

Reply to
Peter
Loading thread data ...

A plain switch should be fine, provided that you are using full duplex and the total network diameter does not exceed a mile and none of the individual segments exceeds 100 meters (330 feet). If you are using spanning tree to guard against accidental multiple paths through the switches, then there is an additional restriction of not having more than 7 connected switches in a row.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

If you use another NAT router you will have a new network, and that is probably not what you want. Besides, switches without routers usually cost less. Just get a switch.

There are some reasons, such as isolation, that you might want another router. I don't see any of those reasons above, though.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.