ethernet loop required

Hi

following state. I have a switch with e.g. 48 userports and one uplink port. This switch is a carrier grade switch which supports only residential mode. Therefore all frames from the user ports are forwarded to the uplink if. All frames are inside the same Vlan. at the

uplink port a router is connected.

Now a new requirement was defined which says sometimes for a special Vlan a communication between each userport should be possible on ethernet base. That means a routing via subnets with a 30 bit subnet mask is not allowed.

And now the question. What can be the right configuration option for a router /L3 switch (cisco/extreme)to ensure this functionality?

The high level engineers says there is some kind of option at some edge router which enables some kind of packet loop. Normaly the router/switch only forwards a package to all other ports at the same vlan but it is prohibited to froward the frame to the same port. This function should be disabled from my point of view.

thanks for your hints tips and hands of brain

Reply to
iwetzel
Loading thread data ...

Hello again

now a can specify my request a little bit more

I have to enable a proxy arp at the edge router for the hole ip subnet. afterwards the router should anser each arp request with his own MAC. Ho i configure this at Alpine/Summit/Cisco/ERX

Best regards

snipped-for-privacy@gmx.net wrote:

Reply to
iwetzel

I am not so sure about the answer to your question, but I don't believe it is an ethernet question. If it involves routing, then comp.dcom.lans.tcp-ip would be a better choice to ask.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

did you mean comp.protocols.tcp-ip?

rick jones

Reply to
Rick Jones

Oops, yes.

thanks,

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.