Ethernet linked access point appears sensitive to cable length well below specified limits.

I made a patch cord once. Then decided I had the cash to buy them. With hooded and/or snag proof ends no less. At a price that valued my labor at $1 or $2 an hour.

Reply to
DLR
Loading thread data ...

DLR wrote: (snip)

I have bought bags on eBay for less than $1/cable, hooded with snag proof ends.

For unusual length, though, sometimes making one is the best way.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

In comp.dcom.cabling DLR wrote in part:

Agreed. Even when you have the knowledge and the tools, crimping plugs is hard. Crimping on solid is fairly easy [dressing conductors] but prone to failure from flexing [work hardening].

Crimping on stranded (proper) is very difficult because the conductors won't stay dressed and shift when inserted into the plug. I believe production machinery uses a duck-bill clamp to hold the conductors aligned. I've never seen pliers for this.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

I will add that I certainly agree it is preferable to go with commercially assembled cables when ever possible. In my case, I wanted to be able to squeeze the wires through several holes that were too small for the connectors, so the connectors had to be installed after the wiring was threaded over its 100 foot run. After this experience, I will choose to make bigger holes for commercial cables and hire a plasterer and painter to come in afterwards to pretty things up.

I'm surprised by very large number of comments on my original post. I suspect that many identified with my problem.

WindsurferLA

Reply to
windsurferLA

In comp.dcom.cabling windsurferLA wrote in part:

The preferred solution in this case to to run solid wire and terminate it on patch-panels, wallplates or surface-mount boxes (depending on cable count). Then run short patch-cords to equipment. Much neater, more reliable and flexible.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Crimp plugs generally arn't intended for solid core. Even when it works the contact area is likely to be rather less than it should be.

It helps to untwist and straighten the wires before putting them in the right order and trimming to length.

How would you use pliers? In order for the outer jacket to be held the optimal wire length tends to be around 15mm.

Reply to
Mark Evans

Some are, some aren't. Some plugs are specifically intended for solid cable, some are specifically intended for stranded cable, and some are universal models that can be used for either. See, for example:

But you are correct that plugs should normally be used only on stranded cable.

-- Larry Jones

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it. -- Hobbes

Reply to
lawrence.jones

snipped-for-privacy@siemens.com fired this volley in news:482b3bf8$0$6067$ snipped-for-privacy@news.teranews.com:

And then, there are those really special(ly priced) plugs for Litz wire...

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Litz wire..is that still around?"

Reply to
DTC

There are plugs specifically designed for solid core. They usually have a cut in the tooth so it straddles the core as it does IDC. I do not doubt this IDC is reliable. However, flexing will deteriorate any connection. This is where the AMP mid-crimp is clever.

This [dressing] is sufficient with solid core but stranded still flops around more than you might like.

Obviously not common pliers. Specially made angled, grooved, duck-bills would clamp all 8 wires and hold them aligned ~8mm inside the plug, only requiring ~7mm free [cantilevered].

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.