Decent 48p switch for ~$600

Hello! I'm looking for a replacement for our "3com Baseline Switch 2250 plus"

48p switch. This is the second 3com 2250+ we have had (the last one was returned) and it is very unstable and crappy.

We don't need any fansy, we are about 150 users and the 48p switch (current 3com

2250+) is the main connection point.

As I said we have a budget (not very rich company), ~$600 is maximum, and lower would be better.

We also need 1000MBit ports for connecting to our file server. I've been looking on the "HP ProCurve Switch 2510-48", but that is a little to expensive.

Any help would be great!

Reply to
"Simen S. Øya"
Loading thread data ...

Refurbished?

formatting link

It's so cheap, I haven't figured out the catch myself. Maybe there is none.

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
Or buy an older model (no Gb port)

formatting link

+Hubs&store=macmall&dpno=299771&source=MWBAMAZON&&adcampaign=email,MWBAMAZON&wt.mc_id=MWBAMAZON

M4

Reply to
Martijn Lievaart

Well... It IS a 3Com, I'm far from the only one who've had bad experiences with them.

You mostly get what you pay for, though it's rare for Cisco to be worth what they ask for them (but there's definitely cases where it is) :-)

Both PriceWatch and Shopper indicates J9020A should be be in the budget you indicated, listing prices down towards $500-$530 including shipping.

I have a number of the fan-less 2510-24, nice switch for what it is (not a Gbps switch). Note that the 48-port version does have a fan so IF noise is very important it might be possible kludge it via two

24-port switches and using one of the gigabit ports to link them at a slightly higher price but it might still be within budget. However it complicates things which (slightly) increases the chance of trouble.

Personally I'd say "find the space in the budget" because it's easy to loose more than you've just saved unless it works 100%! In addition you might consider that for a very small additional amount you would get 1 Gbps out to all machines, but...

Your 48-port requirement rules out most "web-managed" or unmanaged switches (they tend to top out at 24 ports).

In the same price and specification range we also find SMC SMC6152L2 or SMC6752AL2 though I'd suggest checking the specs so I didn't miss anything, people have said nice things about the SMC Tiger switches but since they cost about the same as HP without the nice HP lifetime warranty I've not used them myself.

D-Link has a business line which IS cheaper than HP/SMC but has had a reputation similar or worse than 3Com, reported in this and many other groups though some people have had great luck with them (same with

3Com).

A quick check suggests that they have switches with the specification you requested at roughly half the price of HP/SMC, but I'm not going to mention models given that I've never used their business line, heard bad things about them and seen their "home line" fall apart spectacularly.

Dell also has switches in the price range at the moment, including a

48-port gigabit switch, PowerConnect 2748, currently at $489, normal price $699. It's "web managed" (ie web interface but not SNMP support) but is actually cheaper than their SNMP managed 48-port 10/100 switch.

I can't find that many reports about people using it but I've heard less grumbling about Dell switches than D-Link Business line, but that could just be less people using them (or not, D-Link Business isn't exactly that common either).

Reply to
Torbjorn Lindgren

I've had good luck with Allied Telesyn stuff for our lower end stuff. They have a new 48 port switch Allied Telesis? AT-FS750/48. Has 48

10/100, 2 SFP, 2 10/100/1000 ports. Casual cruise through the web it appears to be selling in the $300 range.

JD

Reply to
JD

It took some time, but finally I got my money back. Now, I found a great price on the HP ProCurve

2510-48 I only had one question...

Some of the more expensive places had the SKU "J9020A#ABB" but the one I found had only "J9020A", without #ABB. You know what this means? And if so, does it matter?

Thank you for a great newsgroup...

Simen S. Øya Fixed width is evil!

Reply to
"Simen S. Øya"

I've been with HP for 20 years and I still get fuzzy on product ordering, but I believe the #ABB is an option code. From what I can tell, I think it selects European English localization. I don't know if that also specifies the type of power cord but it may.

rick jones

Reply to
Rick Jones

Both stores are norwegian, so it would be very strange if they shipped without an norwegian power cord. Some other store again which are more expensive again also have just "J9020A"... So I think I'll try ordering just "J9020A".

Reply to
"Simen S.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.