Daisy Chain Multiple Ethernet Devices?

Sorry if this is a goofy question, but I'd like to hook up multiple devices (a PS3 and an Apple TV) to my Ethernet network, but both only have one Ethernet port in the back. How would I daisy chain devices, or must I use some kind of hub behind my home entertainment system?

Reply to
Fleemo
Loading thread data ...

On 03.03.2009 22:11 Fleemo wrote

Exactly, that's the reason fine people invented a gear named "switch" (in old days called "hub").

Look at

formatting link
for in depth description.

HTH, Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

Daisy chaining in Ethernet "went away" after 10BaseT supplanted

10Base2 - aka "ThinLAN" networks running over coaxial cable.

Today, if you have only one port per device and more than two devices you wish to join together, you either get a hub, which some folks call(ed) a multi-port repeater, in which all devices share the same bandwidth and only one device talks on the network at any one instant, and there is no traffic isolation - all stations can see all traffic; or you get a switch, also called a multi-port bridge, where distinct pairs of stations can be speaking to one another at the same time, and

99 times out of 10, one station will not see traffic destined for another.

As you mention "my Ethernet network" it suggests you already have some sort of network? Does it not already have open ports to which you could connect the PS3 and the AppleTV?

rick jones

Reply to
Rick Jones

Many thanks for the responses.

At this point, my setup consists of my computer, a router and a very long Ethernet cable being run from my router, through the attic, and into the living room where it's currently plugged into my PS3. But eventually I'd like to add Apple TV to the mix. So I'm looking for an economical way of connecting multiple devices to the end of this very long Ethernet cable in the living room.

Reply to
Fleemo

On 04.03.2009 00:20 Fleemo wrote

Have a look at dlink, linksys, nways, ...

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

Ah, you have a single-port broadband "router" (which is probably also a NAT and a DSL or Cable Modem but the marketroids have branded a router :) You would want to find yourself a reasonable, inexpensive (well, expensive if you want :) 8 port switch. There are probably many out there, the location from whence I post sort of requires I mention I happen to use one of these at my desk:

formatting link
and there are also:

formatting link
which has an 8 port version with a small footprint:
formatting link
which adds Gigabit over the 408. There may also be a small 8 port in the 1700 and 1800 series which add variations in managability. At this point I'm sure some others will chime-in with other suggestions as well.

When your PS3 or your computer are connected to the "router" what sort of IP address are they getting - a 192.168.X.X sort of address, or one that looks "different" - what I'm driving at is does your "router" provide DHCP addresses to the computer and as such can probably indeed NAT to allow you to have all three systems connected at once and reaching the Internet via the "router" or is the "router" really just a DSL or Cable modem intended for just a single system at a time use?

rick jones

Reply to
Rick Jones

Thank you for the links. Wow, 8 ports? Wouldn't that be overkill? I can't imagine hooking up eight devices in my living room, not any time this decade anyway. Do they make a 4-port version?

Ummmmmm... You're talkin' to a guy that had a hard time finding the Eject button on the PS3. :/ Can you give me a hint on how I could find out what IP address I'm getting. (I'm on a Mac, if that matters.) I think I recall something like typing in "home" into a web browser in order to get my IP address.

Thanks much. :)

Reply to
Fleemo

In my world at work, 8 ports is tiny :) I've not encountered a stand-alone 4 port switch, but I haven't had occasion to look for one either. FWIW, the Linksys WRT54G I used to use at home included a four port switch along with the uplink to the DSL/Broadband Modem. I think the "2wire" I have for AT&T TV does as well, but the only thing connected to it by a wire is the tv box.

I suspect if you follow your nose from the System Panel (I have a Mac at home but don't recall the specifics while I'm typing here at work) you will find it. And while it might be too close to stone knives and bearskins, you could open a Terminal window and type-in "ifconfig en0" and see what it says.

My _recollection_ is that a Mac OSX system will default to DHCP. I have no direct knowledge of PS3's (the last game console I owned was back in the late 70's (?) played four Pong-like games and connected to our family B&W TV) but I'd bet it defaults to DHCP as well.

At this point, you might want to switch to an Mac or PS3-oriented newsgroup. Be sure to mention the vendor and model of your "router" as well when you post there.

rick jones

Reply to
Rick Jones

Thank you for your responses. :)

-Fleemo

Reply to
Fleemo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.