Crossover Vs. Patch Cables

Hi everyone,

Can some people chime in as to whether or not patch cables are the same as crossover cables? Are they or are they not the same? If you do not already know the answer I would prefer you not respond. Please do not look on Google to get your answer. :)

I recently bought three crossover cables from ComputerCableStore.com. When the cables arrived I found they were actually patch cables, not crossover cables. When I e-mailed the customer service person about the problem she insisted that "patch" is just another term for "crossover". In other words, ComputerCableStore.com is claiming there is no difference between patch and crossover cables.

I'm not an Ethernet expert but I'm pretty sure (about 99.9%) that crossovers are different from patch. Is it true or is the customer service person from ComputerCableStore.com correct?

Thanks.

Reply to
Tony
Loading thread data ...

Crossover cables have pins 1&2 swapped with pins 3&6. Patch cables have no swaps. When you look at the plastic connector on each end (pins up), you should be able to tell which you have based on the colors inside.

S
Reply to
Stephen Sprunk

What do you need a crossover cable for? Crossover cables are usually used for connecting between network equipment, but usually home network stuff autodetect whether or not you are using a crossover cable, or there is a button to push to switch between the 2, usually on port 1. The only time I have seen where you absolutely have to have a crossover cable is between a DSL router and a computer or switch, or for connecting 2 computers without a switch or hub. (I use one for connecting my Xbox to a computer.)

Randy R

Reply to
Randy R

I've always thought of cross over cables as a subset of patch cables. A patch cable in it's most generic meaning is a cable used to "patch" a circuit between 2 jacks. Within that generic meaning I think of regular vs crossover. And most folks call patch and "regular" the same. But a crossover is a specialized case. Now days most folks don't even realize the need for crossover cables as most hubs, switches, NICs, etc., auto recognize the signals.

But to answer your question, a "patch" cable isn't always a crossover cable. The seller is wrong.

Reply to
DLR

Generically speaking a 'patch lead' is not crossed.

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

If you'd like examples, I have a couple of Cisco 11501 content switches operating in chassis redundancy mode where they *must* be connected by means of a crossover cable.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike

Sorry, I meant in a home setting. I used to work at an IPP (Internet Presence Provider,) and I know Cisco equipment needs crossover cables when you are coonecting any network equipment to it, and the speed and duplex settings always need to be explicitly set when possible. Randy R

Reply to
Randy R

Yes, they are diffrent. The orange and green pairs "crossover" on a crossover cable. Not so in a regular patch cable.

Then they are morons.

Reply to
snertking

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.