Connect to ethernet LAN through dial-up direct to a computer on the LAN?

Hi. I'm back with another idea. I investigated a dry pair, and after hours of talking to many people at the phone company (Verizon), finally someone did give me the "correct name" of what I was asking for a "PL Dry Pair Circuit". Well I may still try to get them to do that, but with the trouble so far, I would like to try another approach first.

Is it possible to connect to a server (with a dotted quad address) connected via Ethernet to a computer, by setting up that computer to answer a dial-up call (via 56k modem) from a computer calling it. That is dialing the computer directly, not through the Internet.

I understand that I can set up the "host" computer to answer an incoming call, but how do I then get the connection to another server through that connection?

Thanks so much for your help,

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey
Loading thread data ...

I believe you mentioned MS Windows. If so, then the ability to reach other systems should be on by default when you use SLIP (that I mentioned before) or (the bettter, more complete) setup instructions that someone posted in response to that -- usually you have to specifically turn it off!

Microsoft mostly calls this "Internet Connection Sharing" (ICS). The name that security people call it is not printable in polite company ;-(

To turn it on, run the Network Setup Wizard and choose the first option "This computer connects directly to the Internet. The other computers on my network connect to the Internet through this computer.

You may also be able to put something into effect by selecting the Network Connections portion of the Settings area, and on the resulting page, bring up the properties on the local area network and fiddle through there a bit to find Connection Bridging. I haven't checked to see if that is the same as ICS.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Harvey wrote: (snip)

SLIP and PPP allow IP connections through serial links. Most likely you can't get higher than 33.6K, though. A 56K modem requires an ISDN or T1 at the other (answer) end.

It isn't so hard to find hardware that will do SLIP or PPP now.

Some years ago I did it with PCroute. It was running on a 10MHz 8088, barely fast enough to keep up with a 9600 baud link. No login, just connect an answer modem on one end, and an originate on the other. I kept the line up all the time, static IP addresses (even RIP running through it). I had PCRoute machines running at both ends, connecting to ethernet at home and office. That was before the web became popular, though at the end some web pages went through it.

Easiest is to do static IP address and static default route.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Reply to
ps56k

Is there such a thing as an external 56k modem that connects to a computer (or LAN) via Ethernet? Harvey

Reply to
Harvey

Yes, still the camera setup. Forgive me for bouncing around with a new thread. Harvey

Reply to
Harvey

Well, I need more information. I just spent several hours at the installation site where I have two phone lines to work with (only one at home) and I couldn't get anything to work. I wish I could try this at home.

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey

The "server" is not a "computer", it is a camera scanner box. I don't know anything about causing it to know about answering a dial up modem. Thus the "extra" computer. So I guess the "extra" computer that will answer the dial up call will be the "server" that gives access to the camera scanner via Ethernet.

As it is currently set up the camera scanner box connects directly to a Hughes-Net modem. No other computer is involved on that end. Anyone having the dotted quad IP address of the scanner can monitor the cameras via the internet.

Any more insight will be greatly appreciated.

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey

Yes, Win XP. Do I select SLIP on the calling end, the answering end or both. Harvey

Reply to
Harvey

Yes. There are versions that provide virtual serial ports (but those usually require a driver on the system they are providing the port to), and there are dial-up servers that provide the dial-up user with an IP connection to a remote network; these usually use PPP or SLIP.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

OK, assuming that I have no control over the camera scanner box (I don't know much about it), can I access it from a dial up computer (Win XP) using such a modem (V92, Ethernet)? Please give me some examples of these modems (make and model). Are they expensive? Thanks, Harvey

Reply to
Harvey

Harvey wrote:>> ---

we keep getting little bits and pieces of the puzzle, all of which is needed to offer any useful advice.

You say it is working over the Internet using dialup, but it is too slow What is too slow ??????

Are you viewing photos from these 5 cameras ?? How big are the images ? If they are 2meg each and you are dragging 5x worth, well - that's your problem !!! 10meg of data across a dialup connection !!

In other words - let's get ALL the facts so we know what's going on What is the photo scanner box - is there a model, website, etc ? How is it currently being using ?? How does it connect to the Internet ?? via a dialup modem ?? How do you connect to it ?? and what software do you use ? Do you just view the images, or are you downloading them for later viewing ?

It's like asking "what kind of tires should I buy" ??? without the details - car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, etc

ALL of these elements impact any kind of response.... SO - the more you explain exactly what you have, what is working, and why you need to "go faster" - then we will all understand -

Reply to
ps56k

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.