Comcast static IPs through router

I have 5 static IPs from Comcast through an SMC 8013WG cable modem. I need to route 4 of these IPs to static IPs on my LAN. What do I need in the way of hardware/software? One of the 5 WAN IPs goes directly to my mail server.

Reply to
duncan
Loading thread data ...

First, this is an IP question, not an ethernet question.

I usually use FreeBSD, or some other free unix-like system for a router. (A 486 is fast enough, though a pentium would probably be more reasonable these days.) I don't believe that most SOHO routers include this ability, though it isn't hard to do.

As I understand it the Linksys WRT54G is one that people use to load linux on, in which case it might be that you could do it.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

glen herrmannsfeldt wrote in news:9-CdnaqjGcoijzHYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

The WRT54G permits only one WAN IP, AFAIK. The latest WRT54G version is no longer using Linux, but older ones are. The WRT54GS is still available with Linux firmware.

There is several 3rd party firmware for the linux based versions, but I don't know if they add this capability.

Reply to
John Gray

John Gray wrote: (snip)

Sorry, I meant loading linux on it downloading to flash, not the software it comes with (which may also be Linux).

I don't know either, but it is common in linux NAT software, so I would be surprised if there was one that would.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

duncan wrote in part:

I don't know any SoHo router that will route 5 IPs, or where NAT can be disabled. I see three alternatives:

1) Buy a commercial-duty router (Crisco); 2) Build a *BSd/Linux router (LRP?) 3) Hang a _switch_ onto the modem, not a router!

For (3) the 4 static boxes will have to be hardened because they will be directly visible (no firewall). The 5th IP will probably be needed for a typical router to do NAT and manage the modem.

It might be possible to insert router per static machine if you want the HW firewalling (ie, the machines are running MS-Windows).

5 routers total hanging off the switch, hanging off the modem.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Yes, that was my next suggestion. Put a switch on the modem, and then four routers off of that. You might find some used routers, or even new ones for a low enough price that it makes more sense.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.