Class of Service (CoS) Question

Hi,

I have a linksys managed switch that provides QoS support. It supports several different classes of service, and has a mapping between CoS and queue:

CoS 0 = queue 2 CoS 1 = queue 1 CoS 2 = queue 1 CoS 3 = queue 2 CoS 4 = queue 3 CoS 5 = queue 3 CoS 6 = queue 4 CoS 7 = queue 4

My first question is simple -- are lower numbers a "better" class of service, or are higher numbers better? I'm setting up this switch to support my Vonage connection, and I want to give the Vonage voice adapter priority service over my other traffic.

Second Question -- This is all going to the Internet via a cable modem. Do I need to traffic shape the link between the switch and the cable modem? Presumably without traffic shaping, the packets would just get blasted out of the switch and queue up on the cable modem without the QoS doing much good.

Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------- Posted using Android Newsgroup Downloader: ....

formatting link

-----------------------------------------------------------

Reply to
videoguy
Loading thread data ...

Usually higher numbers represent a higher priority and therefore better service. This is certainly true with 802.1p where the priority bits (now called the Priority Code Point), with the exception that priority 1 which is "worse" than 0 to allow support for a "less than best effort" class of service.

Yes, it would make sense to shape the link from the switch to the cable modem to a rate comparable to what the cable modem will be transmitting the traffic to the service provider, unless the cable modem itself supports some kind of priority queueing.

Anoop

Reply to
anoop

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.