Cisco Wireless -N Home Router WRT120N

Greetings,

Out of the box, I set up the WRT120N router per instructions from the manual.

Problems:

1. I need to power-cyle the router every 24 hours for the devices to identify the hotspot, if I don't, the wired router function is fine, but wireless function is dead.
  2. The "Network Magic" software can't see the DSL modem behing the router (including the command line ping won't respond) so effectively the router has some factory defaults to block certain ports from the LAN to the DSL modem. However the nodes on the LAN are able to see the internet (HTML through traffic is fine, SMTP is fine etc.)

Is this is a known issue with WRT120N? Any firmware upgrades are suggested? How to change the factory defaults on the port configurations? If it is easier to exchange for another model that would be my take instead of upgrades. The manual is a bare-min setup intructions and I am lazy to look them up online. Any responses are appreciated.

TIA The e-mail on the header is a spam filter; please e-mail rigconsulting2@[nospam]yahoo.com for direct responses.

Reply to
R I G Consulting, Inc.
Loading thread data ...

Try the latest firmware from Linksys. I got stuck with 2 of these at remote mountaintop sites. Both would hang erratically and loose some services, much the same as what you're seeing. Reducing the rather large amount of port forwarding that was configured reduced, but not eliminated the hangs. I keep them running with a clock timer, that power cycles the routers twice a day. Yech(tm).

Another hint would be the crummy user ratings on various review sites. The consensus is that it sucks:

NewEgg has 111 reviews, almost all of which say it's a terrible router.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

(...)

I noticed that one of the review on NewEgg mentioned that the WRT120N is not "N" certified. That appears to be correct:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I think I agree on the ratings...I might swap this for a Belkin router, any suggestions on what would be good model with Belkin (or) any other manufacturer model for that matter?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Aside,

I did locate the cisco online support manual (their out of the box manual is only an installation guide)

formatting link
Accessing the router web server at http://192.168.1.1 gives the config page -- unlike the wired equivalent RT31P2 which I had earlier, this router has some kind of soft switch for (PPoE) login into the modem from the router which appears to be a new feature; contrast this with prior models where once you logged on into the modem then connecting the router inbetween the server and modem did not require you to learn or change any settings on the router meaning that the factory defaults on the modem just let the traffic thro unless you wanted to change anything! The problem is, I do not know how to turn this feature off, there is a Status | Login access to this feature on the router's web onfig page, but it repeatedy fails. The ever first time I setup, I used the desktop software "network magic" to connect, so effectively this sw talks to the router to turn on the soft switch to allow traffic. Now that I have direct access to the router config through the web page, I thought I am better off, but even the original traffic is not there now so I have to go back and setup the way I did from the beginning out of the box. And power cycle every 24 hrs!

TIA

Reply to
R I G Consulting, Inc.

I try not to recommend anything that I haven't tried myself. I have only a little experience with Belkin. Mostly, their older stuff sucks primarily because they don't bother doing updates to their firmware beyond one or maybe two updates to the original release. If there are bugs, they tend to be permanent. However, I will confess that I'm now testing a Belkin F5D-8235-4 v2 router.

It won't do all the nifty and tricky stuff that DD-WRT will do, but is good enough for my office use. Right now, it's moving a 7GB Mac DMG file via wireless at about 25Mbits/sec. When I switch to 100baseT ethernet on the target iMac G5, it speeds up slightly to about

30Mbits/sec. Not fabulous, but good enough for 2x2 MIMO. In all, it seems like a tolerable router.

However, the reason I'm testing it is that my customer complained that it stalls streaming HD video from his NAS box. I'm simulating his setup and have not seen any such problems. Since he went to Costco and bought a newer model Belkin something, I guess this one is now mine.

The router does not "login" to the modem. I presume you have a DSL modem. Since you're stuck with PPPoE, you have two choices. Setup your PPPoE login in the modem, and setup the router for DHCP on the WAN(internet) port. Or, you can setup the DSL modem for bridging, and setup the PPPoE login in the router. Both work.

My problem is that you supplied everything except:

1. What you're trying to accomplish?
  2. What you have to work with? (i.e. type of service, type of connection (PPPoE, PPPoA, DHCP, etc, model of DSL or cable modem, etc.
  3. What problem are you experiencing? I prefer to supply the right way to do things, rather than try to determine what you might be doing wrong.

Remove Network Magic. Products containing superlatives, such as magic, miracle, amazing, ultimate, advanced, super, etc rarely are as good as their name suggests. Network Magic tries to take control of your connection. You can either set things up using Network Magic and let it GUESS what type of system you're running, or you can get rid Network Magic, and just follow the instructions on your ISP's web pile or in the docs for the various devices. Doing both doesn't work.

The router does not save your "original traffic" whatever that means. I would not expect it to be there more than a few microseconds after it is received.

I would think that several hundred bad reviews would be sufficient to convince you to abandon this router. Every company has its losers and the Linksys WRT120N is certainly a problem.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

First off thanks for tuning in (into my problem), please read response to your question.

----------- start quote

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My problem is that you supplied everything except:

2. What you have to work with? (i.e. type of service, type of connection (PPPoE, PPPoA, DHCP, etc, model of DSL or cable modem, etc.
  3. What problem are you experiencing? I prefer to supply the right way to do things, rather than try to determine what you might be doing wrong.

----------- end quote

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Getting rid of wired LinkSys router RT31P2 to wireless-N (as you had nailed it is no N) WRT120N. Everthing else remains the same. The LAN is connected to the router, router to the DSL Modem westell wirespeed A90-210030-40 (if that matters). I am moving to wireless so the iPhone etc can use the hotspot.
  2. PPPoE
  3. Old setup that works: With the wired router RT31P2, there isn't anything like the router logging into the modem. The way I usually setup is (a) connect the Desktop directly to the modem and login into the ISP to test the ISP connection Logged-on & ON. When this step is tested (b) introduce the RT31P2 between the desktop(s) and modem and connect all the desktops VoIP phone etc to the router. (c) When required, for example, incoming NetMeeting request from an associate, open the ports NetMeeting on both the modem and router. Or sometimes I just rid of the router and DMZ the IP for the main desktop into the modem instead of hacking my memory recalling port numbers. I keep the manuals for both, they are REAL manuals and written WELL.

New Setup: However in WRT120N it appears the default is for the router to login into modem, somehow browsing through the web config I can't turn this feature off. So I thought this mandates re-login so supplied the credentials to login thru the web config so I tried login it keeps failing. [Note that the moden in already in a LOGGED IN state and the DSL connection is on] At this point I rid of the router and connect my desktop directly to the modem and everything is fine (to test). I agree I should rid of the "nw magic" sw supplied, but the thing is, the sw mimics the login thro the router it fails too, except if I startover (powercycle router and follow the sw instruction) as if out of box and it is fine. So everytime I rid of the router and DMZ with the modem (for whatever reason) and put the router back for getting other desktops and devices to the internet, I have a problem, the router does not connect to the DSL modem and no internet (LAN operation is fine so the router's switching is fine)

To sum it up the problem I am experiencing is (1) need to power-cycle for the wireless to work every 24 hrs (2) startover the setup whenever I rid of the router and put it back. When I say startover, following the step by step instruction as directed by the "nw magic" sw which I want to rid off. The reason why I suspect it is using some kind of "soft switch" to turn the router (Not the switch) ON. I presumed this switch to be the "login into the modem" mandated by the router web config, but it may not be. Coz' when go the web config on the router and login it always fails.

I just put my old RT31P2 back and everything a OK (of course I do not have wireless) -- until I figure a solution for this so I can use the wireless feature.

TIA

Reply to
R I G Consulting, Inc.

Thanks for tuning in to the problem, answers below your question.

My problem is that you supplied everything except:

**** Moving from wired to wireless router. Everything else is the same. Desktops connected to router and router to DSL modem (westell wirespeed)
  1. What you have to work with? (i.e. type of service, type of connection (PPPoE, PPPoA, DHCP, etc, model of DSL or cable modem, etc.
**** PPPoE
  1. What problem are you experiencing? I prefer to supply the right way to do things, rather than try to determine what you might be doing wrong.
***** with the old setup, whenever I rid of the router and put it back, no re-login, no change to anything. It works like magic -- not really magic, the router retains the config saved and restored -- even though power cycled. ***** with new setup 2 problems (1) need to power cycle every 24 hrs for wireless to work (2) when ever I put the router back after removing it does not work, unless I start setup from the beginning using the "nw magic" desktp sw. I agree I need to rid of the sw, but it seems to turn on some soft switch on the router to connect to the modem (note the LAN switch function is ok, just no access to internet) I presumed this switch to be the " login to the modem" feature on the router but it is not, the login keeps failing when I try directly on the router's web config. This is frustrating since I want to rid of the sw.
Reply to
R I G Consulting, Inc.

I noticed Fry's is now selling Cisco branded routers in addition to Linksys. As you know, Linksys sucked in the pre-Cisco days. Lots of complaints on the net. After being owned by Cisco for a while, Linksys seemed to be OK. Now you show they are selling junk again.

I can verify Linksys customer support is crap. You get the call center in India and the responses are totally scripted. They won't look into my router going into an unresponsive state when it gets too much wifi data. Further, not only is there no new firmware update, but tech support told me they will only provide new firmware to add a feature. There are no bug fixes. To add insult to injury, they actually pulled the firmware from their website, so if for some reason I needed to flash the router, I'm SOL. The claim was a GPL violation existed in the firmware. Well spend some freakin' money and get the rights to whatever was violated.

I hate Netgear. Their routers just out and out fizzle. D-Link seems to be OK for a company that really doesn't design anything. It's all ODM, just like Belkin, but they seem to have a decent ODM. [I'm only using D-Link switches, not a wifi router.] A lot of Belkin gear has lifetime warranties, which I've managed to use thanks to their crappy Chinese OEM. I will admit Belkin sends you new shit to replace the broken shit, only after you send them the defective item.

It may be to get a decent router these days, you have to buy the Cisco branded gear. If the support on Cisco branded gear is in the US, I'd go that route.

I haven't called D-Link in years, but in the day, their tech support seemed to be domestic and competent.

In my call to Linksys tech support, it was suggested to first try a different channel. I refused because that would mean setting up all my wifi clients again. No amount of insisting I didn't have a comm issue on the channel I picked would get me past step one on their script. I ran kismet and knew all the signal strength of my neighbors and the channels in use.

Reply to
miso

I guess everyone has their own perspective, just like everyone loves a certain brand of hard drive and considers all the rest junk. For me, Linksys (pre-Cisco) was the best of the lot at that time. Netgear was also fine, with D-Link solidly bringing up the rear. Other brands, notably Belkin, didn't even rate a mention, in my book. As for Linksys complaints on the net, I believe Linksys was by far the most popular so it stands to reason they would have the most complaints. I'm sure they also had the most satisfied users.

It's important to note a few things, as well. Every brand has its stars and its clunkers, so it's not fair or correct to say a whole brand name is junk. I'm guilty of that, too. Secondly, it can also make a difference to separate the firmware from the hardware and evaluate each on its own. If you can run 3rd party firmware such as dd-wrt or Tomato or one of the other well-liked and well-known flavors, then it doesn't much matter how bad the original firmware is because you have an easy way to get around it.

It's news to me that they no longer provide firmware on their website or that they don't provide bug fixes, so I checked a random model, the WRT54GL v1.1. While a quick glance didn't reveal multiple firmware versions, the latest version was there and its release notes had a fairly extensive list of bug fixes and nearly no new features. So much for what they told you.

I have no experience with Belkin other than I've replaced a few dozen Belkin routers with Linksys models over the years. Usually it was because the Belkin had died, but more so lately it has been because the customer wanted to go wireless.

I don't see why changing channels on the router would mean squat to the wireless clients. You don't get to specify the channel on the client.

Reply to
Char Jackson

I decided to call the LinkSys support eventually when I have patience to deal with them, but meanwhile I decided D-Link for backup instead of Belkin based on the above feedback. Any suggestions on D-Link router models based on what I intend to do (explained in the posts above?)

TIA

Reply to
R I G Consulting, Inc.

Ironically they couldn't buy the rights if they wanted to - all they need to do is provide the source and the problem goes away.

Don't be in any doubt that Linksys is all about ODMing as well.

Unfortunately Cisco have polluted their brand with their forays into the lower end. Whereas before if someone bought a Cisco router or switch, they could be sure they had something reasonably decent running IOS or CatOS; nowadays you have to clarify with them, is it "Cisco Small Business", "Linksys by Cisco", "Catalyst Express" or is it actually real Cisco kit? When they bought Linksys, surely all they were getting was the name; they already had the technical muscle, distribution, sales, marketing, etc. They could have done the ODMs without buying Linksys, now they've got rid of the brand too, what have they got left? I suppose this is partly what the recent whining in the financial press over Cisco's management has been about.

Reply to
alexd

If you get something that can run OpenWRT or DDWRT, then at least you've got a way out if the original firmware is a bag of s**te.

Reply to
alexd

Some of my gear will not connect if the channel is changed. It might be security in the client. My Logitech squeezeboxes for instance. It sees something has changed, and figures you want to start from scratch.

Linksys pre-Cisco was dissed quite a bit on the net. Also not every Linksys can use 3rd party firmware. I have a WRT330N. Per the Cisco website:

regret any inconvenience this may cause you.)

Hey at least they are sorry. ;-) Like I said, there is a GPL violation in the firmware, and the company is to f-ing cheap to pay off whomever needs to be paid off. I weaseled that out of tech support, though with more polite terminology.

Reply to
miso

I don't know what "start from scratch" means, or what it entails with regard to a Squeezebox, but it doesn't surprise me that changing the channel on the router causes the clients to drop. That sounds completely normal. When you re-establish the wireless connection the clients will (automatically) use the new channel. When tech support suggested you try another channel, that sounds like excellent advice to me. Not all forms of interference on the WiFi spectrum comes from other WiFi devices so it won't necessarily show up with WiFi monitoring tools. Lacking proper tools, trial and error is probably your best bet.

Yes, of course. They were, by far, the most popular brand out there for quite a number of years and probably still are, so it stands to reason that they would have the largest number of complaints. When more people use something, that thing will generate a higher number of complaints, but the picture changes dramatically when you consider the number of complaints as a percentage of total number of customers. I think that's the point you're missing.

Of course. IMHO, it's a good idea, prior to making a purchase decision, to determine whether that piece of hardware is supported by

3rd party firmware, but I understand that most people don't consider that to be important or simply don't think that far ahead. Some of them come to regret it later.

regret any inconvenience this may cause you.)

Who do you think they should pay? Why do you think this is a case of not wanting to pay someone?

Reply to
Char Jackson

There is a GPL violation. Whatever it takes to undo that violation is what Cisco needs to do. I assume that means a royalty, but I'm not a lawyer.

Changing channels was a moronic suggestion. I had no comm problem. As it turns out, the problem was with the ISP.

Reply to
miso

Hopeless.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Whatever. I guess this is all beyond your comprehension.

Reply to
miso

In comp.dcom.lans.ethernet miso wrote in part:

GPL violations are usually failure to publish source. Easy to cure, just give the source to anyone who legitimately has the device/binary and requests it. Not at all easy to figure out to whom you might pay a royalty. The Linux kernel has hundreds if not thousands of authors, all of whom would have to give you a separate licence. Virtually impossible, so delivering source is easier.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

So you think Cisco has some call it "sexy code" that they don't want to publish so they just completely pulled the firmware? But the firmware is out there, so wouldn't that mean the products in the field violate the GPL?

It would be interesting to go through the support website and see how many routers for which they won't supply the firmware. Obviously a tedious task.

Reply to
miso

I suspect the vast majority of contributors wouldn't want one's money anyway

- after all there's a reason they made their contributions under the GPL in the first place.

My guess it was written by an ODM and they don't have the source in the first place. Perhaps they've had to do some arm-twisting to get it subsequently.

Reply to
alexd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.