cat5 cable length problem

hi, im trying to run an internet connection into our mess room at work which is about 25 meters away from the office where the computers and modem etc are. in the office the modem is connected to a router then in to a switch to feed the several computers, i have connected a short patch cable from a spare socket on the switch to my laptop and all is fine, but when i run a length (about 25 meters) of cable down to the mess room it will not connect(starts to aquire a netwok address then stops and starts again repeatedly), is the length of the cable the problem and if so is there anyway round it, the cable is the copper core (solid) type cat5 cable.

Reply to
wattywatts
Loading thread data ...

Cat5 (if properly configured and installed) should be good up to 100 metres.

no sharp bends in the cable, correct tool used, only the allowed amount stripped or untwisted, etc. See

formatting link
formatting link
or
formatting link
Use punch down (110) jacks at each end and then (factory made) patch cables.

For cabling materials and tools, I've always had good luck with Milestek (and I'm close enough that an order this afternoon will arrive tomorrow on ups ground (g)).

Reply to
Kay Archer

See

formatting link

hi thanks for the reply, i know that it should be good for 100 meters, but for some reason it isnt, i have tested the cable with a lan cable tester and all is fine, so i made up another run of 25 meters an left it coiled up by the side of me, just to check whether it was the other cable, but still the same. would it make any difference that the cable is coming out of a switch, as when i put an adapter on the end to convert it to a crossover cable and link to pc's to gether its fine, ive read that the max length for patch leads is 10m does this affect me at all?

cheers

Reply to
wattywatts

See

formatting link
>

No.

Let's see. You're using 4 pair Cat-5e or higher rated cable, and it's within the length limits. HOW ARE YOU WIRING THE CABLE?

Did you punch the cable down on IDC jacks and use a patch cable? Did you crimp connectors on the ends of the solid wire? Did you make the pretty wires match some form of color code?

I'm guessing not.

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro

Thats your problem .... If you made a patch cable, using SOLID CORE, your out of luck.... It is NOT meant to work !

/Hca

Reply to
Harald Andersen

Harald Andersen wrote in part:

That's a bit strong. Are 8p8c plugs with IDC teeth designed for solid core "NOT meant to work"?

Solid core patchcords can work, but it takes a lot of skill to do them correctly, and even then they have limited lifetime due to work-hardening of the copper connection.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

99% of the time this is due to mispaired cables. The other 1% are due to bad crimps. Well, for solid wire, maybe 3% due to bad crimps.

It must be such that pins 1 and 2 are a twisted pair, and pins 3 and 6 are another twisted pair. You might as well do the others, with pins 4 and 5 one pair and 7 and 8 the fourth. (You need all four pairs for gigabit.)

Best is to use one of the standards, 586A or 586B.

A mispaired cable will work over short distances, maybe about 10 feet for 10baseT and one foot for 100baseTX. (and 0.1 foot for 1000baseT). The actual distance depends on which wires are used for which pins.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Thats exactly what I mean, but with 1 important point : We don't use IDC type of teeths in our Cat5/RJ45 plugs!

When using Cat5/RJ45 type connectors, you are not supposed to use SOLID wire, as you only use SOLID wire in the wallplates (KRONE). One example of the cable here:

formatting link
If you want to make a *patch* cable, with a RJ45 plug, , you use patch cable, thats a "stranded" cable, that allows the teeths in the plug to get good electrical connection, while having a good mechanical bonding. Another cable example here:
formatting link
If you use the worng cable, with the wrong connection, either in the wallplate or in the cableconnector, you will end up with something that *might* work for a limited time, with "funky" errors showing up.

btw: I do installations for a living, but I'm not native english speaking, so if you find some errors, ask and I will elaborate as good as I can :-)

/Hca

Reply to
Harald Andersen

Harald Andersen wrote in part:

I have never seen any modular plugs that _did not_ use IDC (Insulation Displacing Connectors). There are different designs of tooth for solid- vs stranded-core.

Those designed for stranded core have an radial piercing element that pushes straight in and moves the strands apart. Plugs designed for solid core have one or more "splits" that push through the insulation and straddle the solid core. I believe there are plugs that have both elements.

Agreed. Stranded cable in jacks (where the IDC jaws are designed only for solid) is not any more reliable than Solid patchcords with stranded plugs.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

My mistake I guess, since I only use the "IDC" name in conjunction with ie. flat-cables. So it's true that you use that _type_ of connectors.

My point exactely, and since I have never seen a RJ45/Cat5 using the "V"-shape "knives", for SOLID core, I was very strong, saying that was to ask for problems when making a pathc cable with SOLID.

It might be, but I have never seen those around here in Europe.

Good that we can agree ;->

Tthat might be the reason the original poster was experiencing problems, I have seen many of those ;-)

Could the original poster reply, and let us know more details of his cables/connectors ?

/Hca

Reply to
Harald Andersen

(snip)

They make plugs for both types of cable. Yes they are less reliable for solid wire, but they are made.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

And the AMP plugs I use are identical to my eye. i wish they could be identified, somehow.

Reply to
Al Dykes

(snip on solid wire and stranded wire plugs)

I always keep them in a bag that says which one they are.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.