CAT5 and Level 5?

What is the difference between CAT5 and Level 5? I know that there is CAT5, 5e, 6, etc but I've never heard of Level 5... Can someone explain?

Reply to
menloizu
Loading thread data ...

I've looked through my reference guides, but did not find anything on Level

Reply to
Mark J

The "Level" rating refers to a rating system developed by Anixter (world's largest distributor of communication/cabling products)..

formatting link
It is basically a guide for companies buying/installing cable systems looking beyond manufacturer hype (this was especially important during a period when the standards groups were not providing much guidance and cabling manufacturers were coming out with extended performance cabling (some of the performance claims were complete bullshit)).

With the advent of Category 5e and very little networking hardware needing performance beyond Category 5e (for now), the need for the Anixter Levels program has somewhat diminished. However, if you're looking beyond Category

5e then cabling certified to an Anixter level might be an important consideration. (Anixter levels have quite rigorous performance specifications and testing)

Reply to
none

The only Level 5 I know of is

formatting link
, though you may be talking about some level of CAT5 certification testing with a handheld tester...

For instance, Fluke talks about Level IV as part of an IEC spec at

formatting link

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I thought that Cat 6 was official now, but I did buy some cables marked as Cat 6 about 7 years ago, well before Cat 6. (It was for a school project, and I don't remember exactly what grade the kids were in.)

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.