CAT-5 Lightning/Surge Protection?

Looking for a product and recommendation for lightning/surge protection on standard CAT-5 cabling between buildings. The only two products I know of are -

formatting link
and

formatting link
The first, I believe, is available from Amazon for around $18.00. Does anyone out there have a good recommendation and/or experience in this area? I live an a very rural area and really need an on-line source to purchase from.

Thanks for any help -

Reply to
Tom B
Loading thread data ...

Tom,

A couple of years ago, I had a couple of 8-port 10/100 3Com Ethernet switches at opposite ends of my house, a 3Com ISDN Modem/Router (gateway to my ISP) and two Ethernet cards get damaged by a nearby lightning strike. When I got everything repaired/replaced, I installed a Triplite DSUT1CSU between the ISDN Modem/Router and the telco plus a DNET1 and DTEL2 between the equipment at the ends of the house and the CAT5 cable that connects them. I suspect that the initial failure was caused by a surge coming in from the telco on the ISDN line and finding a ground path through the ISDN Modem/Router, the Ethernet switches and the Ethernet cards in the systems to the ground in the PC power supplies but wasn't able prove it. Another possible, though less likely, cause would have been a very, very close lightning strike causing a significant potential difference between the two ends of my house. While I haven't had any more failures since installing the Triplite protectors and I feel better protected, it doesn't really prove anything.

As far as your situation with separate buildings, I would use fiber optic cable between the buildings which would be a much better solution since glass fiber won't conduct electricity at all. Depending on the length you need, you might be able to find a multi-mode duplex fiber cable with the connectors already on the ends and a pair of fiber to Ethernet converters for a lot less than you might expect. Search the web and eBay for "fiber optic jumper" and "fiber Ethernet converter". By getting a fiber with the connectors already on the ends, you eliminate the biggest hassle and cost with fiber, i.e. hiring someone with the special tools to put the ends on the fiber.

Reply to
James T. White

These days, you might want to consider fibre. While it's certainly possible to make a safe installation with copper, it's far easier with fibre. as there's no concern about lightning, power induction etc.

Reply to
James Knott

Several years ago, while touring Corning Glass, in Corning New York, I saw a demonstration of glass that was able to conduct significant amounts of power. The display included a common household light bulb, that received it's power through the glass.

Reply to
James Knott

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.