Can we daisy-chain computers together in Ethernet?

Let's say we have four computers that we want to network together. Of course, we can get a four-port hub and run an Ethernet cable from each individual computer to the hub.

I wonder, though, if it's possible to use some sort of RJ45 splitter in order to daisy-chain the computers in a bus topology? For instance:

Computer A has an Ethernet cable connected into it which leads to Computer B, but before the cable goes into Computer B, it goes through a Y-splitter, one side of it going to Computer B, and the other side leading on to Computer C. Similarly with Computer C, it has a Y splitter which leads to Computer D.

Can this be done with one of these?:

formatting link
I get the idea that this little cheap device can't be used... but I'd appreciate if somebody couple please explain why to me.

Another scenario: Let's say you're in a college or a library and there's a workstation hooked up to an Ethernet socket in the wall. You want to join the network without having to disconnect the workstation, so you use some sort of Y-splitter that you plug into the wall.

Again, is this possible?

Reply to
Tomás Ó hÉilidhe
Loading thread data ...

basically your Y-splitter concept is a small Ethernet hub -

Ethernet uses a transmit pair and receive pair of wires.... all going to a hub "repeater" - that's the specific hardware + electrical architecture - it's not an extension cord -

There is an old daisy cha> Let's say we have four computers that we want to network together. Of

formatting link

Reply to
P.Schuman

Will this RJ45 splitter function as a two-port hub, or do I need something more sophisticated?

I was under the impression that a hub was a "dumb device" that could be made using a wire strippers and a pair of snips... ?

Reply to
Tomás Ó h=C

Yes, you can do it. In fact that was how the original ethernet was intended to be used.

However, without manual configuration of each node, you might not be able to get anything faster than 10Mbit/half-duplex working. If I understand ethernet well, you need a central unit hub or switch to negotiate speeds with. Without it, auto-negotiation might not be possible. Also, all of the devices will have to work at the speed of the slowest adaptor.

The splitters would have to be of good quality. They must be terminated properly. In general, your setup will be less reliable because there will lots more possible of points of failure.

If you have more than just 2-3 computers, the cost of the hub or switch will be less than the setup you are proposing.

If this is for a real working environment, you should do it with hubs/ switches, unless you have very specific reasons for wanting to do the daisy chain.

But if you are doing it to learn/for fun, then this is a nice little project that will expose many of ethernet's secrets to you.

Dimitris

Reply to
siganosd

quick answer - NO - IT CAN'T BE DONE with these so-called splitters....

Reply to
P.Schuman

By connecting more than two computer may end you up Burning the PCs NIC.

Remember you have a pair of your twisted pairs carring a + positve flow of current and you know what happens when it gets brigde.

There is every tendency of damaging your Network Card, I really havent tried this my self but fro theory it is not posible only except a situation where a coaxial cable is used with a T connector to make a Ring network.

Reply to
LAWAL

A hub is DUMB compared to a switch but not as dumb as some wire and jacks. Back when 10baseT first took off it was big news when hubs got down to $100 per port. Now they are $20 for 5 to 8 ports if you can find them. Most everything these days is a switch. Since both are made from a single circuit there's no real cost savings any more. Back 5 or 10 + years ago when there were a LOT of components involved there was a definite cost difference. Plus a switch required faster more complicated parts. Now it's basically a wash. In terms of circuits.

David

Reply to
DLR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.