Can VRRP be used when the servers are in same LAN as clients?

I have my clients and the servers for which the load balancing needs to be done, are in the same LAN. Which protocol I can use to make the Failover Transparent to the clients?

I assume the VRRP cannot be used, as it runs only on the routers. This can help when I have the servers in a different LAN. But, how do I accomplish it when the clients and the servers are in the same LAN?

Reply to
qazmlp1209
Loading thread data ...

load balancing covers a lot of different techniques, and the tradeoffs vary.

maybe if you explained what you want to do and what equipment / Op Sys /apps etc you have you might get a more detailed answer?

it is also worth asking whoever supplied the system - if they sold it as something with "load balancing" then they should be able to explain how - and provide evidence.

Oh - and dont forget to test it.......

VRRP is originally designed to provide resilience against a default gateway failure, not load balancing - although the 2 may be related depending on what you are doing.

There is a related protocol called GLBP which also provides some load balancing (which i think is a standard, but i have only seen mentioned in Cisco docs)

but yes since both happen at a router interface for traffic going "out of subnet" it may not help if you have a flat network.

This

Not sure on the answer to this, but i suggest you also ask a different related Q - are you prepared to alter your network to use routers to get resilience if that is what it takes?

>
Reply to
stephen

It looks like what you're looking for is what is commonly referred to as server load balancing (SLB). See, for example:

formatting link
Anoop

Reply to
anoop

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.