Built-In Bit Error Test?

Does ethernet have any built-in error tests that measure either bit or frame errors? Or are there readily-available tools that would do this on a PC? I would like to be able to detect and quantify errors using a TCP/IP command or an ftp file transfer, without having to use a SmartBits.

TIA.

Reply to
Dan
Loading thread data ...

In article , Dan wrote: :Does ethernet have any built-in error tests that measure either bit or :frame errors?

No.

NICs generally keep a count of the number of frames with bad CRCs, but that really doesn't tell you about bit errors.

:Or are there readily-available tools that would do this :on a PC? I would like to be able to detect and quantify errors using a :TCP/IP command or an ftp file transfer, without having to use a SmartBits.

I have heard that some of the new gigabit NICs have some line-quality tests built in, such as being able to detect the distance to cable breaks.

Also, Fluke has some devices that can be quite useful in testing line quality, without having to go all the way to a SmartBits.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.