Basic Topology Problem

hi guys. need help for an assignment.what type of network topology do i use for a 8 story 500m building using just a. ethernet cable (cat5e) and switches b. token ring (cat4) and switches

given that each type of cabling has limits, i.e. cat5e can only go as far as 100m or so.

Here's the picture of the problem:

formatting link
Here's my possible solution:
formatting link
Thanks.

-------------------------------------

Reply to
xmark
Loading thread data ...

yes

Token Ring? In 2012? You're joking right?

Does anybody even make Token Ring equipment anymore?

The spec is maximum of 100m. 90m of structured wiring, and 10m of patch cables. It is not "100m or so"..

Reply to
Bob Vaughan

is that 500m square or floor area of 500 square meters (just a bit of scale difference)

split it up into sections.

classic standard flood wiring uses UTP to user ports. Since those are max 90m of fixed cable, you need a topology which keeps each "home run" below 90m

Note these days this is really a building design problem and depends on where the risers are, whether you need to flood wire the entire floor or only part, where it is a simple square or hollow with a central light well......- note cabling is commonly part of the fit out.

whatever floor setup you have the wiring concentrated into 1 or more wiring closets (usually on each floor, but i have seen setups where 1 closet feeds a floor + the one above & below).

closets get connected into computer rooms or some other tech area in a star setup, or a ring of physical cables.

pick a switch to connect "x" ports together - you might need more than

1 per closet - what you use depends on switch limits, user port speed, uplink speed, contention ratio, allowable scope of a single point of failure (and a few fudge factors). Step and repeat.

connect all your switches together at 1 or more star points, usually with a bigger switch, maybe with fatter pipes.

variations are about

- where do the offsite links go,

- where do you connect servers

- whether you have 1,2, or 3 layers of switching,

- how much resilience at each layer,

- exploiting the advantages of whichever switch manufacturer you decide to throw lots of money at.

Token ring - well nobody has made the adaptors for the latest PC interface cards types ever, so you are going to struggle to come up with a realistic modern design.

Rings ran at 4, 16 or very rarely 100 Mbps. Ring size is limited by the number of attached devices, cabling types, cable distance and speed by a fairly complicated formula) (I had forgotten how much pain T/r is)

- then derate it by 25 to 50% if you want it to be reliable

Token ring switching was also a pain - the best way used ATM core networks, switches and LAN emulation (which is more like a 3 month test assignmient, not 1 night).

Reply to
Stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.