Advice on cheap corp 10/100/1000 switch please

I have a network at work consisting of 3Com Superstack 3300's (10/100 managed switches)(2 in the server room and two more to feed users).

I would like to add a gigabit switch (to the server room) so that servers can swap data and backup faster. I don't have a lot of money so I plan to add a 16 port 10/100/1000 switch of some kind to plug all the servers and backup stuff into and leave all the 3300's in place.

Need 16 ports or more(maybe I could live with 8!) Need 10/100/1000 on each port Would like managed if possible. Would prefer 3Com (talks better to the 3Com Network Manager I use) Would like to keep it under $500

Question: Is there an older 3Com model that I can pick up used that has 16 ports (or 2 8 ports slaves together, or maybe 12port) and is managed and is cheap?

Does Web Management (like the HP Procurves mentioned elsewhere) support SNMP? (I think this is what 3Com Network Manager needs to talks to a switch) Or do I need "Full Management"

If not 3com and managed then who is decent and reliable at the price point I can afford?

Thanks, gr

Reply to
gr
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.