ACL performance of L3 router/switches?

We're trying to decide on our next departmental router/switch and we'd like it to have good ACL performance (our current HP 6308M bogs down when using ACL lists to "firewall" ourself from the ugly world "out there" :-)

Anyway, our requirements:

IPv4, IPv6 (in the future), OSPF, PIM, 2-8 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces, possibility for 10GE, many VLANs, many ACLs/ACEs - supporting TCP "keep state" or "established" rules and both IPv4 and IPv6.

Some of the candidates we're looking at are:

HP ProCurve 6200yl / 3500yl Extreme Summit X450a Cisco 3750G-12S

Any other boxes we should be looking at?

However, what seems to be unclear when reading the product specifications is how well they handle ACLs - ie, is it done in hardware and at full wirespeed - or will it go the "slow path"? Please note that this is ACLs for the routing interfaces (between VLANs) - not port ACLs...

(I'm also aware that the 6200yl/3500yl doesn't support IPv6 today - anyone know when they are going to introduce that feature?)

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Eriksson
Loading thread data ...

new ones are 3750-E.... - 10G built in

the Ciscos do ACLs in hardware - for some ACL flavours.

Since the logic for hardware ACL is probably in a dedicated chipset, there is always likely to be something that cannot be done in the hardware - so the Q for the manufacturer is whether to let you use only hardware based filters, or let you have flexibility with some performance constraints, or some sort of mix.

Tthe big issue with any switch is likely to be if you are asking for something that gets pushed to software processing.....

the rule of thumb is "higher end boxes do more in hardware" - so for Cisco the assumption is Cat 6500 will do "best" - but that is

1. a chassis
  2. optimised for lots of ports
  3. expensive
  4. loads of options, so you need to understand the box to get the right tradeoffs

same is probably true for lots of other kit you might go for.....

But - your initial choices imply a relatively small box is all you need, so a stackable is good enough.

Personally i would ignore the "futures" bit unless you know you need those aspects in the next 12 to 18 months. Otherwise choosing a new box at the point you need say IPv6 is likely to get you more for less money than trying to future proof a box now.

Reply to
stephen

Can't speak for the others but the HPs you mention do ACLs in hardware.

The hardware supports it, but they haven't gotten around to releasing the software for it.

Anoop

Reply to
anoop

I would move ACL's to an external firewall and let the networking gear forward packets internally. Any (serious) firewall would have more functionality then ACL's in a cisco( not to mention other boxes), just think of statefullness, fragment handling, logging, managability , possibilyties of application.level proxies etc.

Save your money and get as an example one x86box, load with 2-nic's, freebsd, ipfilter and install fwbuilder somewhere. Cost ? hardware for a PC + some hours installing time.

Reply to
phn

You would get nowhere near 1,000,000 pps with a reasonable number of rules in your set, thus creating a bottleneck for routed traffic. If there is someone asking for performance with his ACLs and is getting "hardware ACL support" as the answer, I would expect numbers in this order of magnitude to be the minimal requirement.

Reply to
Denis Jedig

Sounds "easy" - every L3 switch worth its name should do that.

Easy as well - the implementations just have to check for the "TCP SYN" flag to get it working this way. Can be (and is being) done in hardware.

The ATI x900 may fit your bill as well while being less expensive than equally equipped cisco models.

Reply to
Denis Jedig

You missed the wholw issue - this is to keep the "nasty outside" away, and that is most likley not in the same volumes as the internal traffic.

And ther is no "switch" that is even close the the security related filetering features of pf ( or ipf or iptables or checkpoint ) Make your homework.

Reply to
phn

Really? Where exactly does the original posting say *that*?

They might have a limited ruleset, but they *do* filter packets and they work as designed. I cannot see how internal security zoning is not a security feature.

Pardon me?

Reply to
Denis Jedig

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.