A question froma complete ignaramus re BNC to RJ45 adapters

I have 2 pcs connected to an ethernet cat 5 network and thence to the internet via a router. I also have a redundant Itel Netport print server which unfortunately yses BNC connections as opposed to RJ45

Is it possible to buy adapters to convert the BNC connectors to RJ45 ? If so can anyone recommend a UK online source for such an item

Regards & TIA

Reply to
Prickle
Loading thread data ...

You can, but the part you need would cost more than a new print server. You might find on on Ebay. A print server this old probably doesn't support the current network protocols and you'd have to wave a chicken over your XP machine to get it to workd.

If your gadget has a Sub-D 15 pin connector on it (also called "AUI") you can use one of these;

formatting link
Google the spec sheet for your print server. Look for TCP/IP and LprD functionality. If it has them then I'd use it if I could fine one of the pile of Allied Telesyn AUI-RJ45 transeivers I used to have.

Reply to
Al Dykes

Yes.

If you need to, you can get a BNC AUI transceiver, and connect it to an AUI RJ45 transceiver. MiLan offers both; the MIL-05T for the former, and the MIL10P or MIL130A for the latter.

(MiLan was an independant company that was then purchased by Digi International, which eventually sold off the MiLan line. Therefore you might find the products listed under Digi instead of MiLan).

According to Intel's support page, the only NetPort that offered BNC was the NetPort II with the SKU PCLA2121 having BNC/AUI . If that is what you have, then you may be able to just use an AUI RJ45 transceiver without going through the BNC.

I wonder, though, whether it is worthwhile doing this. The NetPort II was discontinued in 1996, and I believe it would be less expensive for you to buy a replacement print server than to buy a new transceiver.

If you really want to go the transceiver route, then I'd suggest eBay or equivilent: -used- they are quite inexpensive.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Best bet is to find a 10 Mb/sec hub that has both 10baseT and 10base2 support. If you're a sufficiently skilled scrounger it wouldn't surprise me if you found one for free, but even if you don't they're cheap.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Thank you for your input ... My main reaon or inquiring was really to try to utilise the netport rather than consign it to the waste bin.... It is currently tucked away in my garage somewhere along with a number of ISA network cards, an assortment of BNC connectors and some cabling. I believe it may have a AUI so I will investigate that possibility but I am coming to the conclusion that Ill probably scrap the lot. Thanks again

Reply to
Prickle

The most common way of doing this a few years ago was as the other fellow suggested. Insert a small old 10basetT hub with a coax port. Most of us used to have these lying around. I think I even know where one are two are located at my clients. :)

Reply to
DLR

All you need is an "Adapting Ethernet Hub". These were popular about 10 years ago, as we all migrated from the old Coaxial cable Ethernet hardware to the new RJ45 stuff. I published an article about this migration that you can find here:

formatting link

I hope this helps!

Bob Bosen

formatting link
Tutorial videos for people with work to do

Reply to
Bob Bosen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.