4 Port 1000 MB "Hub"

Is there anyone that is aware of a low cost 4 port 10/100/1000 MB hub that is available? There seems to be a lot of switches around but not any hubs. I am looking for something I can easily insert in an Ethernet network to look at traffic on a given segment of the the network. I currently use a Netgear DS104 for that purpose but that is only 10/100.

Reply to
<nospam
Loading thread data ...

Rumor is that no repeaters (both repeaters and switches count as hubs) exist. The standard allows for half duplex, and NICs may or may not implement it.

It might be that you can find a switch that can be configured to forward on all ports, but it still would be a switch (technically, bridge).

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

To the best of my knowledge, no Gigabit Ethernet repeater was ever commercially available.

Also, a "10/100" hub is most likely a 10 Mb/s hub in the same box as a

100 Mb/s hub, with a bridge/switch interconnecting the two. A single repeater cannot operate at more than one data rate.

-- Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting 21885 Bear Creek Way (408) 395-5700 Los Gatos, CA 95033 (408) 228-0803 FAX

Send replies to: usenet at richseifert dot com

Reply to
Rich Seifert

I was afraid of that. Is there any alternative, other than Linux with=20 two NICs and iptables? Is there such a thing as 4 port 10/100/1000=20 switch that has one port that can mirror? You would think I am not the=20 only one looking for such an animal for portable use and that others=20 might already doing this somehow. =20

Thanks to both of you for responding.

Reply to
<nospam

I always thought that hubs were multi-port repeaters and switches were multi-port bridges.

rick jones

Reply to
Rick Jones

Rick Jones wrote: (snip)

As opposed to monoport repeaters and bridges?

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

:-) no, dual-port.

rick jones

Reply to
Rick Jones

It is designed for a 19" rackmount (it is wide but shallow) but there is the HP ProCurve 1700 series, which offers an 8 port version.

In the small size, there is an 8 port ProCurve 2520G that looks to be about the size you might prefer, its data sheet suggests it does port mirroring - it also offers PoE which may be more than you want. I've no idea on pricing - being one of the cobler's children I rarely have shoes and then don't get them at retail.

rick jones

Reply to
Rick Jones

I thought we had a winner here in the 1700 series at under $100.00 for 8 ports, even if it is a little large, but on closer inspection it would appear there is only one 1000 MB port. The other 7 appear to be 10/100 only.

The good news is that your comments led me to look at the entire line and it would also appear that the 1800 series does have all 8 ports at

10/100/1000. It is a little more expensive but there do not seem to be a lot of options around. I will keep looking to see what else is out there but at least I know there is at least one possible solution.

I think that is a little out of my league at almost $1000. I am retired and this would be for personal use, or at least used where I volunteer my time.

I now have another question but it would probably be better to start another thread.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
<nospam

The Procurve 1800 is getting hard to get now because it's been replaced by the 1810G series. The 1810G-8 seems to be the same price as the older 1800-8G model it replace, unless you can get a sweetheart deal on an outgoing model it may make more sense to get a 1810G-8 rather than a box with End Of Sale "1 Dec. 2009 or while supplies last".

It too supports port mirroring and seems to have a number of minor enhacements but I've not used one yet (at work we have a few 1800 and a lot of 1400 out in the "landscape" after we got burned by cheaper "consumer" switches failing and sabotaging the network).

At first I assumed you could get similar models from other manufacturers but if it has I couldn't find any in that kind of price range with a quick check with the usual suspects.

Reply to
Torbjorn Lindgren

Thanks for the insight on the newer model. I think I will look around and see if there any deals for the unit that is sunsetting. I really do not need the latest and greatest and saving a few bucks is more important.

Reply to
<nospam

I'll ask the ProCurve guys about that.

Not five minutes ago I was reading an email from one of the ProCurve types mentioning the 1810G-8 - I suspect that is the switch you have found. In an interesting bit of symmetry to the 2520G-8, he mentioned something about that switch being able to be powered *by* PoE.

rick jones

Reply to
Rick Jones

It is unlikely that you will find a hub that works at 1000Mbps, especially in a multi-speed configuration. In any event, any device which operates at multiple speeds will be a combination of hub ports and internal bridges since, as has been mentioned already, true hubs operate at a single speed on all ports. What you want to look for is called a "network tap," which is wired inline with the uplink port on a switch or hub, and copies all traffic to a monitor port. As an alternative, you can use a switch which allows you to configure a "monitor port," which can be configured to copy all traffic to the monitor port.

Al

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

Reply to
awstiver

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.