3com and roving analysis port

I trying to enable roving on and "3Com SuperStack 3 Switch 4400" with a total of 3 members in the stack, but im getting an error stating; "No ports are available to be used for Roving Analysis."

What does that mean?

Reply to
fname
Loading thread data ...

How many ports on the units in the stack. I believe that if one of the units is a 48port switch it will not support RA and you get that message.

PT

Reply to
PT

Ah, you might be right... I remember read that on the web somewhere on a different model. I have to check how many ports has. So if your are right how can I monitor my network? I gues im back to using a tap.

Reply to
fname

Reply to
fname

I am attachib the 3Com knowledge base info on this :-

Problem Guidelines on how to set up Roving Analysis

Problem Unable to set up Roving Analysis across a stack of units

Fact SuperStack 3 Switch 4400

Fact 3C17203

Fact 3C17204

Fact RAP

Fact Roving Analysis Port

Fact Roving Analysis

Cause RAP is not stack wide and can only be setup with Copy and Source ports on the same unit

Cause Monitoring a VLAN is not supported

Fix The RMON Roving Analysis Port (RAP) allows selected traffic to be forwarded to a chosen port called the ?Copy Port?, in addition to its normal destination. This allows an RMON probe to be physically connected to the ?Copy Port? on the device. A Monitor port is the source or destination port being monitored. A Copy Port can be configured to mirror and receive all the traffic sourced from or destined to a single Source port. Roving Analysis implementation on the Switch 4400 needs to adhere to the following guidelines: 1. There is only one RAP configuration allowed within a given stack. 2. Roving analysis is NOT supported across a stack of Switch

4400 units. It can only be setup with Copy and Source ports on the same unit. 3. Roving Analysis is supported in a standalone Switch 4400 (24-Port) unit 4. Roving Analysis is supported on a single Switch 4400 (24-Port) Unit within a stack. 5. Roving Analysis is supported on a single standalone Switch 4400 (48 Port) unit. 6. Roving Analysis is NOT supported in a stack which contains a 48port unit, due to a hardware limitation. 7. The Source Port can be any of the fixed or modular ports but must be physically located on the same unit as the Copy Port. 8. The Source Port can operate in any speed or duplex mode. 9. Any of the individual members of a Link Aggregation can be selected as the source port, but the Link Aggregation itself may not be selected as either a Source Port or a Copy Port. 10. The cascade ports cannot be configured as the Source Port. 11. Errored frames dropped at the source port will not be sent to the copy port. 12. Any packets received at the source port with the exception of errored frames, will be forwarded to the copy port, even if they are filtered by the source port. For example, if a packet is dropped by the source port based on a VLAN membership decision, it will still be sent to the copy port. 13. A VLAN cannot be configured as a Source Port. Only physical ports can be defined as Source Ports. 14. When a port is made into a copy port, it looses its current configuration and becomes just a copy port. The copy port will then inherit the VLAN configuration of the source port. 15. The architecture of earlier software versions didn?t allow the VLAN configuration of a source port to be taken on by the copy port, meaning that any tagged frames on a source port would egress the copy port untagged. A user making use of RAP wouldn?t be able to view or analyze VLAN information using a probe. The RAP code has been changed to prevent broadcast packets on a VLAN which the source port is not a member from leaking to the copy port. The copy port mimics the source port egress VLAN settings. A User cannot probe on VLAN. The User will now see VLAN tagging information within a packet. 16. If a unit that is configured with RAP setup is powered off and on, the RAP configuration will remain intact and the RAP connection will be maintained. 17. If two stacks are merged that both have RAP set-ups, it is advised to initialise the units. This is because the operational state of RAP on a stack merge cannot be guaranteed. 18. A copy port cannot receive incoming traffic on it. The copy port will mirror the data on the monitor port, but will not be cable of receiving data at the same time. For example, if an analyzer is connected to the copy port, and the user wants to save that data to a server, it will not be possible for that analyser to forward that traffic to another port. The RAP feature is designed with packet discard on the copy port (L2 interface is removed), The copy port therefore can only mimic the data on the RAP port, so packets cannot be switched to the copy port. 19. When RAP is disabled, the copy port will revert to its original settings before it was the copy port
Reply to
PT

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.