10Mpbs vs 100Mpbs DSL Modem

My customer has 10 PC's running windows XP Pro connected to a 100Mbps Linksys ethernet switch going to a 10Mbps Speadstream 5861 DSL modem running DSL capable of 1.5 Mbps to the internet. All the PC's and servers connect to the switch at 100Mpbs through 100baseT connections.

My question is: Would there be an increase in speed for the end users accessing the internet if we upgraded the DSL Modem to 100Mbps? Current DSL modem is only capable of 10Mbps. My DSL provider stated that the increase would be marginal at best because of the 1.5Mbps DSL connection is the bottleneck and do not want to replace the modem.

Thanks in advance! Brian

Reply to
bpselzer
Loading thread data ...

Well, let's see, on the WAN side the modem can move 1.5 million bits/sec, on the LAN side it can move more than 6 times that. You do the math.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Your provider is right.

If you are having bandwidth problems, either add more, or find ouw which users are sucking it all up, turn off file sharing, media streaming, and other always-on stuff. 1.5 megabits isn't an awful lot for 10 clients, IMHO...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I'd agree with the provider. Wider pipes do not help when the bottleneck is upstream. They might even hurt.

In such a loaded situation, I'd look for a more intelligent router, perhaps even a dedicated Linux machine. A network like this probably slows/stops [unnecessarily] when anyone is sending a large email. And heaven forbid a P2P app infest one of the machines.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.